7.89 / CCF water
5.54 is ratio of electricity to gas

0.0259 / kWH natural gas
0.148 / kWH electricity
9.17 / CCF water
5.71 is ratio of electricity to gas

1 CCF = 29.31 kWH for natural gas
748.05 gallons of water per CCF

There is no economic advantage of a ground based heat pump vs a gas furnace in our region. Also air conditioning is really not needed much of the time, and therefore a heat pump is still not justified. But many of my neighbors run their air conditioners all the time from April to October.

The costs in other parts of the country can be greatly different.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If you don't have piped natural gas, the costs of propane versus electric resistance are close, making the heat pump the hands down winner.

gar

Occupation
EE
160318-0906 EDT

In our part of the countru we have low cost natural gas for two reasons. Beginning in the mid 1940s we had natural gas lines come into the state. Before this gas was manufactured. Second, in western Michigan there are vast underground natural storage areas. Thus, gas is bought throughout the year at low prices, and then is available for winter heating at summer prices.

My calculated costs are the average over one year based upon the total money paid divided by the total energy used. Thus, the cost includes taxes and all othrer miscellaneous fees appended to the labeled energy cost.

Our electric cost per kWH for residential is somewhat variable (two levels) 0.079 and 0.095. Actual cost of generation from an old coal plant is about 0.03 . At peak load times the power company has to pay prices to outside sources that might reach multi-dollars per kWH. To our energy cost is added "delivery charge" of about 0.056 and some fixed fees. Adding 0.085 (average of the two rates) (this was a stupid idea of the state lawmakers to try to reduce residential energy use) and 0.056 = 0.141 / kWH. These values were from my January 2016 bill and the sum is close to my last year's average.

I would like to see some costs from other parts of the country.

mgookin

Residential electricity here is about $0.125/kWh taxes included.

We have always enjoyed low electric rates.
When you heat water from 75-80F to ? to make steam, it's cheaper than melting icebergs up north to accomplish the same objective.

peter d

Residential electricity here is about $0.125/kWh taxes included.

We have always enjoyed low electric rates.
When you heat water from 75-80F to ? to make steam, it's cheaper than melting icebergs up north to accomplish the same objective.

Florida is way ahead of the curve. Massive upgrades made to more efficient CCGT plants made over the last several decades as well as close access to abundant Gulf natural gas.

We here in New England are on the opposite end, aging infrastructure and a gas supply bottleneck put our rates close to .20 inclusive of taxes and fees.

mgookin

Florida is way ahead of the curve. Massive upgrades made to more efficient CCGT plants made over the last several decades as well as close access to abundant Gulf natural gas.

We here in New England are on the opposite end, aging infrastructure and a gas supply bottleneck put our rates close to .20 inclusive of taxes and fees.

Wow that's high.

We also have nukes here. Input = $0.00000000001.

FPL did a natty gas conversion at the Fort Myers plant about 15 years ago. The old stacks are gone and there's no more yellow cloud hanging over the plant. They have 8 turbines and 2 kickers used to start the big ones.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm on a TOU schedule for electricity. In the summer, my rates fluctuate from 11 cents/kWh to 38 cents/kWh depending on the time of day. So from 8AM to 9PM, the time when I MIGHT want to use my A/C, that's when it is 38 cents! Thank goodness I'm at the office most of those hours...

kwired

Electron manager
I don't know what gas prices are, but know they have been down - enough one of my HVAC buddies that does geothermal says nobody is installing them right now. A couple years ago they were enough less to operate it was a good investment, and they probably will be again someday.

Gar has your gas and electric rates remained somewhat consistent over the years or have they varied. Here gas does fluctuate, electric remains fairly consistent. Only a small rate change - which is usually analyzed on an annual basis but doesn't always change every year. Gas can change price daily at times, especially if not purchased with any kind of contracts.

mgookin

I'm on a TOU schedule for electricity. In the summer, my rates fluctuate from 11 cents/kWh to 38 cents/kWh depending on the time of day. So from 8AM to 9PM, the time when I MIGHT want to use my A/C, that's when it is 38 cents! Thank goodness I'm at the office most of those hours...

Wow!

gar

Occupation
EE
160321-2352 EDT

kwired:

I will dig out some data, but if I forget remind me.

In times past electric to gas was about 3 to 1. Electric in the last 10 years has gone from possibly 0.10 to 0.15 . The rates are quite constant thru the year.

More accurate data later.

Since the data is handy-
my electric for last month has
$11.50 "customer charge"
$7.07 taxes and fees
$70.34 for energy, which when averaged comes to $0.135/kwh (spread over three tiers)
or $0.17/kwh with the taxes/etc

It's a municipal utility, not investor-owned, and last year they sent about $3M back to the city's general fund.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Have you thought about installing PV?

Status
Not open for further replies.