Lighting in closets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is lighting (a luminaire) required in a closet? NEC 210.70(A)(3) Does not mention closets (unless containing equipment) This is also reflected in IRC 3903. I'm asking because my inspector is requiring a light in all closets. I can't find any code which requires this. :rant:

Thanks Derek,

Most people don't seem to know about local amendments. I did look in Georgia's amendments but they don't have any for the NEC and none for the IRC 3903

kwired

Electron manager
Is lighting (a luminaire) required in a closet? NEC 210.70(A)(3) Does not mention closets (unless containing equipment) This is also reflected in IRC 3903. I'm asking because my inspector is requiring a light in all closets. I can't find any code which requires this. :rant:
Ask that inspector which document and section he is using to require this. Non amended NEC has no requirement other then for your mentioned equipment requiring servicing.

mwm1752

did you install a panel in a mech closet that requires ilumination -- maybe you should define closet he requires a fixture for.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
did you install a panel in a mech closet that requires ilumination -- maybe you should define closet he requires a fixture for.

Since the requirement is for lights "in all closets" probably this doesn't apply. Unless there's a panel in every closet. :blink:

mwm1752

Since the requirement is for lights "in all closets" probably this doesn't apply. Unless there's a panel in every closet. :blink:

FYI whenever I see the words "all & never" the refrence usually is due to the OP's understanding & wording of the circumstances. Since there is no "closet" that is defined as such in the NEC and the only related article to lighting & clothes closets is 410 which does not apply I made a suggestion that might. I have been misquoted in the field by EC's on specific requirements that they took as all emcompassing.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
FYI whenever I see the words "all & never" the refrence usually is due to the OP's understanding & wording of the circumstances. Since there is no "closet" that is defined as such in the NEC and the only related article to lighting & clothes closets is 410 which does not apply I made a suggestion that might. I have been misquoted in the field by EC's on specific requirements that they took as all emcompassing.

In the 2014 edition, 410.2 refers to "closet storage space" without mentioning the word "clothes". You took "all closets" and then proceeded to talk about "a closet" and "a fixture", thus altering the scenario with little justification.

Status
Not open for further replies.