User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: When the plans show....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary11734 View Post
    I have never seen a T-Bar ceiling that was bonded in the way I am looking at tripping a breaker under fault. It lays in a grid system and held up by wires for the ceiling. It was never designed to do what we are asking it to do. I have never seen a T-bar that would accept a 10-32 ground screw by design.

This system as shown is closer to driving a 10' rod in the ground for service and hoping that would trip a breaker under fault.
    But you don't need the entire t-bar system bonded; you would need to reliably bond the metal _in_ the box.

A nut and screw with a serrated washer is probably sufficient, though it might need to be investigated/listed by UL. The ground clips that push on to the edge of a box might be sufficient, depending on coatings.

I absolutely agree that this is not obvious about how to make the install safe; I simply think that it is possible to come up with a reliable and safe way to do it.

-Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Email to Garvin Industries;

Gentlemen,

I want to use this box, Item# 54171-TBAR.

It will be used to install for 120-volt lighting.

Is this box listed to be used for lighting, or voltages above Fire Alarm and Cameras? Your installer says, "not recommended for high voltage". Can you clarify?

Also, Article 314 comes to mind. How can we show that this installation will be approved by inspection since I can't find a way to do a box fill.

Thank You,

Gary Wayland
    President
    Capri Electrical Industries, Inc.
    904-xxx-xxxx

I got an Email back from Garvin.

Well, this is clear as mud to me...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This product is currently going through testing with UL.
    It has not yet received it's certification. The Class 2 low voltage wiring recommendation will only be there until we have received a clean bill of health from UL on this product.

Sincerely,

Rachael Wojtysiak | Manager, Sales

Michigan. It's a beautiful penninsula, I've looked around.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got an Email back from Garvin.

Well, this is clear as mud to me...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

This product is currently going through testing with UL.
    It has not yet received it's certification. The Class 2 low voltage wiring recommendation will only be there until we have received a clean bill of health from UL on this product.

Sincerely,
    Rachael Wojtysiak | Manager, Sales

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but where in the NEC does it say a metal box has to be listed?
    Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post
    Maybe I am missing something obvious, but where in the NEC does it say a metal box has to be listed?
    As I said, this will be clear as MUD on this forum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K8MHZ View Post

I would ASSUME they are trying to get something done with this box associated with the T-bar, and in the end, will have a UL listed number on what was accomplished and approved by a said test.

But, that is a big assumption on my part. I will now get my crystal ball out and see If I can read her mind...

Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Through the wonders of ads tracking website mentions, on another forum I saw an add for this:

https://www.garvinindustries.com/han...iling-grid/dcb

It looks as though garvin has a whole range of device boxes and accessories specifically for ceiling grids.

My guess (looking into a different murky crystal) is that others were concerned about issues of box fill and bonding, and are having UL investigate to provide reasonable approaches. Perhaps a bonding jumper will be required.

-Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by winnie View Post
    Through the wonders of ads tracking website mentions, on another forum I saw an add for this:

https://www.garvinindustries.com/han...iling-grid/dcb

It looks as though garvin has a whole range of device boxes and accessories specifically for ceiling grids.

My guess (looking into a different murky crystal) is that others were concerned about issues of box fill and bonding, and are having UL investigate to provide reasonable approaches. Perhaps a bonding jumper will be required.

-Jon
    Now that bracket is "Cheesball". So the Ceiling Tee is holding up this POS bracket from the side when your not in a corner. What DIY electrician is going to extend a rod to the ceiling to make this secure? NONE!

The lady from Garvin was "Cryptic" in her response. She knew exactly what I was asking and no way was she going there.

Grid ceilings have always been an issue for mounting boxes. These guys are going backward thinking that one above is a solution. I could make that hack bracket since I'm your average backyard mechanic.

Two things in the trade got my attention when they first came out; oh wait, 3

1) The 512 Kaddy

2) Polaris Lugs.

3) Female Apprentices!

It's like, I could have made millions off the first two products... The last one, that's a cost!