User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: SPD to protect GFCIs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, the spd wires.. should you clip them or leave them loose but not coiled?
    I heard both.
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    so, the spd wires.. should you clip them or leave them loose but not coiled?
    I heard both.
    Clipped and as straight as you can is the way I read the directions.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks. Never yet installed any.

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks. Never yet installed any.
    I haven’t done very many but it sounds like we will be.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the local surge protectors we put in for fridges and computers and such seem to do something. Area of Jamaica I deal with has problem with lightning strikes, equipment problems from surges and low voltage.. transformer problems, etc. the people who have put the surge protectors on the fridge, tv, and the computers up here seem to have reduced their losses... my nephew was going through a tv a year but has kept his last one for four years... and fridge not giving problems either.. his neighbor on second fridge in same period of time.
    But, it could also be the work I did checking all the outlet connections, replacing two wires...lol.

who can tell for sure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the local surge protectors we put in for fridges and computers and such seem to do something. Area of Jamaica I deal with has problem with lightning strikes, equipment problems from surges and low voltage.. transformer problems, etc. the people who have put the surge protectors on the fridge, tv, and the computers up here seem to have reduced their losses... my nephew was going through a tv a year but has kept his last one for four years... and fridge not giving problems either.. his neighbor on second fridge in same period of time.
    But, it could also be the work I did checking all the outlet connections, replacing two wires...lol.

who can tell for sure?
    Yes, I agree. How do you know they are working, or already have done their job. You say, "seem" to work.

Yes, that is all we have here. And now, the homeowner is going to have to pay for it.

I see more of a problem when we have lighting strikes and brownout occurs. That scares me more thinking of my electronic equipment and A/C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, in Jamaica we get loads of low voltage problems due to illegal connections and tree falls during storms... that lean on the lines but do not break them. Banana and Plaintain plants are really big on doing this. But, the surge protectors seem to be doing something, or we have just been lucky at the couple of houses that are using them on my hill...
    Hard to tell but the one shop sold out of the surge protectors after the hurricane two years ago, then complained about the cost of the newer shipment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, in Jamaica we get loads of low voltage problems due to illegal connections and tree falls during storms... that lean on the lines but do not break them. Banana and Plaintain plants are really big on doing this. But, the surge protectors seem to be doing something, or we have just been lucky at the couple of houses that are using them on my hill...
    Hard to tell but the one shop sold out of the surge protectors after the hurricane two years ago, then complained about the cost of the newer shipment.
    It sounds more like brownouts ( low voltage) than lightning surges...

Florida has tropical weather like you guys. We can have some violent storms here, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we get both. Especially on the hill where my mother in law lives... transformer right beside Antenna Tower for phones... loads of lightning strikes sometimes...
    Everyone above the transformer has had loads of problems with equipment, local power has replaced transformer several times over years... searches every few months for illegal connections...lol...

But, out of thirty homes, seven installed surge protectors, and those seven have reduced the replacement problems of tv and fridge... and microwaves... one only put surge on tv originally, lost a fridge and a microwave, so put them on both... neighbor still had none, the first guy still using same fridge and such now, his neighbor just bought surge protectors after telling all of us they were useless toys...he has bought four fridges in four years and three tvs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we get both. Especially on the hill where my mother in law lives... transformer right beside Antenna Tower for phones... loads of lightning strikes sometimes...
    Everyone above the transformer has had loads of problems with equipment, local power has replaced transformer several times over years... searches every few months for illegal connections...lol...

But, out of thirty homes, seven installed surge protectors, and those seven have reduced the replacement problems of tv and fridge... and microwaves... one only put surge on tv originally, lost a fridge and a microwave, so put them on both... neighbor still had none, the first guy still using same fridge and such now, his neighbor just bought surge protectors after telling all of us they were useless toys...he has bought four fridges in four years and three tvs...
    Thinking about this as I read your post;

Brownouts are a problem. Surge is a problem. Since you are in a unique area that has a higher frequency of this problem...

We could now have an App that is tied to the internet and the weather authorities. Once the app sees a certain weather pattern, it could shut off the appliances during these episodes.

I would have more faith turning the appliances completely off during these conditions, as opposed to hoping SPD's will protect me.

The technology is here and could be installed at a reasonable price.