User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: SPD to protect GFCIs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    “FirstSurgeTM is GRM-equipped notifying you a rare safety hazard exists due to a compromised electrical system neutral to ground bond. What will you see and hear when this occurs?
    Audible Alarm: Beeps Green LED(s): Remains Lit Red Service Light: Flashes”

What will those millions do when this device detects they have no neutral to ground bond?

I already had one unit in my other building. About 5 months ago. A veteran US electrical engineer taught me about it and convinced me its compatible in my black to red line to line 240v system where each phase is 120v relative to ground (grounded centertapped).

If you connect the ground and neutral of the Siemens First Surge together, it won't sound any alarm even if they are not connected to the bus bar (just like the above fully energized with normal "ok" green lights on and no other warning alarms). The above was just temporary just for testing and only file photo. They need to be connected to bus bar to activate all protection modes, L-L, L-G, N-G fault. Note all connections were done by qualified skilled electricians.

Also all SPDs have thermal fuse to limit the burning of the MOVs. The ones in GFCI receptacle don't have thermal fuse. Also in the US. Your MOV inside GFCI receptacle is connected L to N. In our case, it's connected L-L so the MOV can reach end of life faster than yours. Hence need more protection.
    Last edited by tersh; Today at 09:02 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tersh View Post

I already had one unit in my other building. About 5 months ago. A veteran US electrical engineer taught me about it and convinced me its compatible in my black to red line to line 240v system where each phase is 120v relative to ground (grounded centertapped).

If you connect the ground and neutral of the Siemens First Surge together, it won't sound any alarm even if they are not connected to the bus bar (just like the above fully energized with normal "ok" green lights on and no other warning alarms). The above was just temporary just for testing and only file photo. They need to be connected to bus bar to activate all protection modes, L-L, L-G, N-G fault. Note all connections were done by qualified skilled electricians.

Also all SPDs have thermal fuse to limit the burning of the MOVs. The ones in GFCI receptacle don't have thermal fuse. Also in the US. Your MOV inside GFCI receptacle is connected L to N. In our case, it's connected L-L so the MOV can reach end of life faster than yours. Hence need more protection.
    I've been in the electrical field for 40 years, but ain't never seen anything like this!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A veteran US electrical engineer taught me about it and convinced me its compatible in my black to red line to line 240v system where each phase is 120v relative to ground (grounded centertapped).
    I thought you already told us in volumes of pages that your system DIDN'T have a grounded neutral from the utility transformer?

Sez who??

Quote Originally Posted by Gary11734 View Post
    I've been in the electrical field for 40 years, but ain't never seen anything like this!
    This guy is on some kind of mission to "save his Country" but unfortunately he lacks the knowledge to do anything more than alarm people and make things worse. His efforts would be better served in convincing his government to upgrade the electrical systems to more current standards.

-Hal
    Last edited by hbiss; Today at 12:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I thought you already told us in volumes of pages that your system DIDN'T have a grounded neutral from the utility transformer?
    I also said all homes don't have any EGC and the panel has no neutral. It's true. But in commercial building, there is grounded neutral especially if you have to pay for the transformer upgrade the power company requires to. Also even in commercial building, the neutral or more accurately the centertapped ground wire is connected to the panels only. Never to the outlets, so all outlets are two prong only, the reason is all appliances in the Philippines are 2 prong, no EGC of any kind even refrigerator, washing machine, etc. So wiring to outlet is always 2 wire and never 3 wire in 100% of homes and commercial buldings here (except industrial buildings where the machines require them.

Sez who??

This guy is on some kind of mission to "save his Country" but unfortunately he lacks the knowledge to do anything more than alarm people and make things worse. His efforts would be better served in convincing his government to upgrade the electrical systems to more current standards.

-Hal
    Naw. Just a few friends and relatives who need protection. The country thing in the earlier days of my membership here is just excuses so people in the forum would respond more seriously, but I have enough information now for basic knowledge for an engineer.

I took electronic engineering in college 25 years ago. We focused on DC, not much on AC although we have a few subjects. So it's like I'm reviewing my AC lessons just to be updated of the basic only.