User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I'm seeing Mike's battle

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm seeing Mike's battle

I'm now officially seeing what Mike had to battle with in the last 40 years of his career, and I applaud him for standing strong in gale force winds. Screen shot of a new book publication, used in teaching students:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    painful.....
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    painful.....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MH has gone the distance with grounding theory , the only other entity that comes close is Soares.....~RJ~

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad...
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, MH has a number of Utubes addressing this......~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For every YouTube video pointing in the right direction, there are three others pointing in the wrong direction and thirty others that are incomplete or incomprehensible.

I did enjoy Mike's video where he deliberately created a 120-volt-to-Earth fault, demonstrating that there wasn't enough current to clear the breaker and measuring step potential. But I don't think I would have staged that demonstration in street shoes; I think I would have insisted on firefighter's boots with guaranteed dielectric performance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grounding, is a listed conductor from point A, where you are , to point B, the source overcurrent protective device, which provides a required "effective fault clearing path back to the source" to facilitate the fault clearing action of the protective device.

"Grounding Conductor" must be of a type listed in 250.118. The Earth itself is not a listed grounding conductor. Grounding typically means there exists the required effective fault clearing path back to the source.

Earth Grounding, is a listed conductor from point A to point C, the Earth electrode. Where required to be installed, the code rules for Grounding Electrode Conductor are far stricter than the rules for grounding or bonding. The Earth is assumed to be a giant zero impedance common busbar, but in practice, there is some earth resistance between you and the giant common busbar. Earth resistance can create voltage differences between points under conditions of current flow, which is mitigated by the installation of required bonding, grounding, and earth grounding paths.

Where requirements exist, if it can be shown that the building steel substantially connects all the way back to the rebar in the concrete footings, connecting to the building steel may meet the requirements for an "Earth Ground".

Bonding is the interconnection of exposed metal parts to eliminate voltage potentials between them.

(it needs to be rewritten somehow)
    Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, so what, exactly, does running a wire from the panel to a pipe in the ground actually accomplish? I've seen the the MH video where he winds up driving a 50 foot ground rod and even with two(?) more rods in the mix still can't get a fault clearing current back to the panel.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    OK, so what, exactly, does running a wire from the panel to a pipe in the ground actually accomplish? I've seen the the MH video where he winds up driving a 50 foot ground rod and even with two(?) more rods in the mix still can't get a fault clearing current back to the panel.
    IMHO not much I think.