User Tag List

Thread: 110-220VAC SHOWER HEAD with HEATER

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

110-220VAC SHOWER HEAD with HEATER

Accidentally came across pictures of 110 & 220 vac heated shower heads with absolutely insane electrical installations apparently outside of U.S. But they are widely available here. There are different types of electrical connections. One from home depot power plugs into outlet in shower and others in conduit. Is this legal with GFIC? I have seen GFICs not only fail but blow out of boxes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1EE58663-3952-4C98-881E-F1485100A26D.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	22028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	761ED111-AF2A-4683-9C60-C64FCC704EE4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	22029

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Fox View Post
    Accidentally came across pictures of 110 & 220 vac heated shower heads with absolutely insane electrical installations apparently outside of U.S. But they are widely available here. There are different types of electrical connections. One from home depot power plugs into outlet in shower and others in conduit. Is this legal with GFIC? I have seen GFICs not only fail but blow out of boxes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1EE58663-3952-4C98-881E-F1485100A26D.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	22028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	761ED111-AF2A-4683-9C60-C64FCC704EE4.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	22029
    I stayed with relatives in Italy a few years ago, they had those. I thought they were insane... But I survived.

They were fed with their equivalent of a GFCI breaker, called an “RCD” (Residual Current Detector”) but for them, the ground tripping current is 30mA, whereas for us it’s 5mA. 30mA for us is considered “equipment ground fault”, but for my “equipment” I prefer the lower threshold!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nope, never seen one......~RJ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buddy of mine asked about one for his place in Florida last year. Had never heard of them until then, He travels to South America a lot and had seen then there. I never really tried to look into availability or Code issues here because we found a better solution anyway. But it's still intriguing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Looked at reviews all are terrible. Different mfg of these have reviews of the units not working or breaking after one use. One installation must have not used gfic for person said they received a shock in shower. They are lucky they weren’t kill. Going to cross this off list and if ever asked I’ll tell people only to use UL listed under cabinet or wall mount units outside of shower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen one in operation in the Caribbean and there was a sign "Do Not Touch Shower Head While Turned On"....
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.