Dimming LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
160312-1522 EST

George:

In post #1 you did not explicitly state .
You need to know what the specifications are for a control element and how those specs relate to a controlled load.

Gar, you did not read the question, in your zeal to go highly technical you seemed to overlook the fact George had a specific question about a specific product and manufacturer.

In town we have what at one time was claimed to be the most powerful laser in the world, and it still might be. I also believe the statement may have been made that its output power was greater than all of the generating capacity in the world. How can this be? It is really a function of what the words mean.

Awesome, thanks for the travel tips. ;)

You need to know how devices work, and their characteristics to determine how different devices work together.

No, I do not need to know any of that. All I really need is UL listing and labeling to be accurate. Anything beyond that is nice but should not be needed with listed products.

The interaction of fluorescents, CFLs, and LEDs with dimmers is a jungle.

And from my perspective you have planted many more vines and trees.

When a person asks for a sip of water there is no reason to aim a firehose at them.

gar

Occupation
EE
160313-1353 EDT

George and iwire:

From post #1:
I am looking to dim 650W of LED lamps on one switchleg. From what I can discern, the best i can get for Lutron is 250W.

Leviton claims a 1000W dimmer for LED. Is there fine print I am missing, or is Lutron sucking wind on this particular front?

From post #5:
Edison base A19 LED replacements.

Dennis, educate me: power booster...?
From post #9:
After further review, I think Leviton's spec sheets are simply incomplete. "These work with LED" and "This is a 1000W dimmer" do not equal "This dims 1000W of LED".

Not sure how to tackle this one. I think that for the moment, the room is not dimmable.

From post #19:
Okay, I tried installing a shunt, but now every time they turn the lights on the breaker trips. They said to get out and never come back, and don't bother sending an invoice. :ashamed1:

Edit: did I use the wrong one?

http://www.amazon.com/Siemens-Q12000.../dp/B0052MDNSW
Last edited by George Stolz; 03-08-16 at 01:24 AM.​

From post #31:
I didn't want to spoil all the fun; ask for the time, get detailed instructions on how to build a nuclear submarine. Another typical day on the forum. It may prove useful to some.

From post #37:
I don't know how to say it more plainly, but here's another attempt:

72 lamps x 9 watts apiece = 648W.

There does not appear to be a dimmer that will handle this.

From post #44:
Good hunch.

All one switch leg, not interested in rewiring the church to break it up into multiple switch legs.

We have to assume all these posts relate to the same problem or question. Next we assume this existing circuit has a dimmer, likely rated at 650 W incandescent, and there are the equivalent of 650 W of incandescent bulbs on the circuit now.

For convenience assume 11 60 W incandescent bulbs is the present maximum load. To provide approximately the same light output with LED replacement bulbs will require about 11 9.5 W LED bulbs, or an average power of 9.5*11 = 105 W. This is well below the mentioned Lutron LED maximum of 250 W.

On CREE I measured a peak repetitive inrush of about 2.25 A and of rather short duration, about 30 microseconds. A dimmer with a load of 11 LEDs would produce a repetitive peak of about 25 A. Is this unreasonable for the likely size of solid-state switch in the dimmer? Probably not.

If the goal is to increase the maximum light output on said switchleg, then information on that is needed. Comparing all of the posts on the problem or question does not provide a clear indication of what the problem or question is.

iwire:

UL primarily relates to safety, and not directly to whether one or more products work well with each other.

Incandescent bulbs made with a tungsten filament for a given voltage, power, and lifetime were very close to one another from one manufacturer and batch to another. This is not true of LEDs, or even dimmers.

It was fairly easy to define the capabilities of a dimmer with respect to incandescent bulbs, and specify the dimmer in terms of the maximum wattage load. Not so simple for LEDs.

It is my opinion that having a reasonable knowledge of how dimmers and LEDs work, and what are their characteristics and limitations can greatly assist you in working with and combining these components. Your ccokbook approach may work for a minimial system, but may be of little value to troubleshoot a problem.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Just because I have a thing about finishing off comatose horses....

George, was your comment about a shunt in post 19 a joke?

Are you still interested in a dimming solution, just not interested enough to search very far? Or has the ship sailed?

For what its worth, I think that gar's technical posts are useful to someone trying to solve this sort of dimming application, though not necessarily useful for someone looking for an 'off the shelf' product.

Lutron has a document that describes some of the problems that gar mentioned.

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Documents/Controlling LEDs webinar.pdf

More importantly to someone who simply wants to buy a product, they have their 'LED Control Center of Excellence' where they have tested different LEDs with different dimming hardware. They have a product selector that lists the maximum number of lamps of a given brand that may be controlled with a particular dimmer that they sell.

See the last page of the above mentioned document:
Ways to reach us: – 1-877-DIM-LED8 – LEDs@lutron.comwww.lutron.com/LED

-Jon

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
We have to assume all these posts relate to the same problem or question. Next we assume this existing circuit has a dimmer, likely rated at 650 W incandescent, and there are the equivalent of 650 W of incandescent bulbs on the circuit now.

Do I need to sing it for you? I intended to swap out existing lamps for LED in the hopes of dimming them. A little research into the matter led me to the conclusion that my hope was for naught. I don't understand why this scenario is so outlandish that I cannot be believed even when I put it into math for you?

For convenience assume 11 60 W incandescent bulbs is the present maximum load. To provide approximately the same light output with LED replacement bulbs will require about 11 9.5 W LED bulbs, or an average power of 9.5*11 = 105 W. This is well below the mentioned Lutron LED maximum of 250 W.

On CREE I measured a peak repetitive inrush of about 2.25 A and of rather short duration, about 30 microseconds. A dimmer with a load of 11 LEDs would produce a repetitive peak of about 25 A. Is this unreasonable for the likely size of solid-state switch in the dimmer? Probably not.

Again, none of that resembles the installation in question. As previously stated, I have one big room with 72 lamps on a switchleg, probably on it's own circuit. There are some unknown make, model and wattage of CFLs in them. I was called in to see if I could replace the switch they are on with a dimmer. Knowing that CFLs have a spotty track record dimming anyway, and not knowing what was in their fixtures, I was trying to take the easy out and suggest new LEDs that I have a little history with on a much smaller scale successfully dimming. It did not occur to me as the plan came into existence during the initial walk that I was up against an insurmountable task. I thought there might be something easy I was missing so, as usual, I came here with my question. Predictably, it went sideways, but that's all right because I'm fairly confident there is no answer to my riddle and I'm at peace with that.

If the goal is to increase the maximum light output on said switchleg, then information on that is needed. Comparing all of the posts on the problem or question does not provide a clear indication of what the problem or question is.

I don't know how to phrase my problem any clearer any more than you can answer it.

iwire:

UL primarily relates to safety, and not directly to whether one or more products work well with each other.

Incandescent bulbs made with a tungsten filament for a given voltage, power, and lifetime were very close to one another from one manufacturer and batch to another. This is not true of LEDs, or even dimmers.

It was fairly easy to define the capabilities of a dimmer with respect to incandescent bulbs, and specify the dimmer in terms of the maximum wattage load. Not so simple for LEDs.

It is my opinion that having a reasonable knowledge of how dimmers and LEDs work, and what are their characteristics and limitations can greatly assist you in working with and combining these components. Your ccokbook approach may work for a minimial system, but may be of little value to troubleshoot a problem.

Actually, we are required to abide by the listing of equipment by 110.3(B). It doesn't really matter how great a chef a fella believes he is, if I were to decide that the rating of the equipment were just a suggestion and that I am way smarter than that, then I alone stand before the court when I alone decide to ignore it - and if lives were lost because of a stupid dimmer I could find myself cooking for it.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Just because I have a thing about finishing off comatose horses....

George, was your comment about a shunt in post 19 a joke?

My daddy always said that if I have to explain that something was a joke, then it wasn't funny to begin with. Therefore, I plead the fifth.

Are you still interested in a dimming solution, just not interested enough to search very far? Or has the ship sailed?

To my knowledge the client is still awaiting an option, is aware of my roadblock, and I assume that if I came forward with something that fit the bill I would be hailed as a genius. Or competent, or slow, but eventually on point with solutions.

Thank you for the links.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

To my knowledge the client is still awaiting an option, is aware of my roadblock, and I assume that if I came forward with something that fit the bill I would be hailed as a genius. Or competent, or slow, but eventually on point with solutions.

Thank you for the links.
Just an off the wall idea if you have space available and the components are still available:
Our church had dimmable linear fluorescents with an in wall Variac for dimming.
If you take phase chopped waveforms out of the equation you might be able to dim either new LEDs or the original CFLs.
You could test this hypothesis with an external variable sine wave AC source to see whether it is worth trying to find an in wall dimmer.
The ones I encountered were only good for about 600 watts of dimmable fluorescent ballast each and stuck out behind the far side of a 4" wall.

I recall that some LEDs will try to regulate to maintain constant output as the voltage is reduced, but sense the leading or trailing edge chopped waveform and respond to it. Others respond better to linear voltage reduction.

Last edited:

gar

Occupation
EE
160313-2426 EDT

George:

Every post you have made provides new information that is hard to conclude from your first post. But still an incomplete story. Apparently you have an existing circuit with many sockets on one switch. But there is no explicit statment of the number of sockets, or what has been the existing load, and whether the existing circuit has an associated dimmer.

GoldDigger's suggestion is probably workable. I have previously in some other thread(s) mentioned that the CREE bulbs I have tested dim quite well with a variable sine wave. Much better than dimmable CFLs.

Tonight I tested both the CREE and Feit dimmable bulbs that I have with a Variac. Both are quite comparable in their range and transfer function from voltage to brightness. I did not run a parallel test. There is essentially no repetitive inrush current. The frequency of oscillation of the currrent waveform varies with voltage going lower at lower voltage.

At about 10 V AC RMS sine wave is where the bulbs drop out and the brightness is quite low, appoaching what can be done with an incandescent. Brightness vs voltage is quite different than for an incandescent, and this is to be expected.

I don't know if the bulbs are rated to operate at low voltages.

Variacs for the current range of your interest are moderately expensive. But probably lower than your labor costs.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research

Thank you for the links.

Okay. Then there are a few more resources which I think will be useful to you.

1) The dimmer manufacturers list LED bulb compatibility.
Lutron (previously posted) http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Education-Training/Documents/Controlling LEDs webinar.pdf
http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Service...al/Design-SelectionTools/LEDDimmerMatrix.aspx
Leviton has various lists but I can't find a useful one for your application.

2) The bulb manufacturers list dimmer compatibility.
http://www.usa.philips.com/consumer...ssets/pdf/PhilipsDimmerCompatibilitySheet.pdf
http://creebulb.com/media/document/file/d/i/dimmer-compatibility-new-2.pdf
http://www.feit.com/Dimmer_Compatibility

I would suggest contacting the dimmer and bulb manufacturers and ask if they have a _tested_ solution for the number of bulbs you want to have on a single switch leg.

Gar's postings should make it clear that there are lots of hairy details going on between dimmers and LED bulbs. IMHO while you are correct to not 'take ratings as suggestions' or 'roll your own' solution, his information will help you separate real solutions from marketing fluff. The key take-away is that LED dimming function depends on the driver circuitry in the bulb; you must use a compatible dimmer.

Using a variac based dimmer makes theoretical sense; they are available with high current ratings, and won't be 'fussed' by short duration current spikes....but IMHO only if the LED manufacturer specifically rates for that use, and expects to maintain compatible products in the future.

-Jon

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I may have missed something, but George has 72 Edison a-19 bulbs....

Were these originally 60-watt bulbs?

Like 4320 watts of incandescent? 36 amps on one switch leg?

Hmmm. I wonder if this switch is turning on the coil of a 3-pole contactor?

Idk, just thinking into my keyboard

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I may have missed something, but George has 72 Edison a-19 bulbs....

Were these originally 60-watt bulbs?

Like 4320 watts of incandescent? 36 amps on one switch leg?

Hmmm. I wonder if this switch is turning on the coil of a 3-pole contactor?

Idk, just thinking into my keyboard

George said, as I recall, "some kind of CFL"
He was more optimistic about dimming if he replaced the unknown CFLs with known dimmable LEDs.
Chances are good that LEDs would be available that would track better than a mix of originals and eventual replacement CFLs even if the existing ones were dimmable.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Alrighty. I just thought....wouldn't it be funny if he was trying to dim a contactor coil?

Hear hear! When I returned with my notes and started doing some math I noticed the same thing - there could be a contactor involved in the present setup, but if the magical 650W dimmer fell out of the sky then I was going to deal with that as a gimme.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Hear hear! When I returned with my notes and started doing some math I noticed the same thing - there could be a contactor involved in the present setup, but if the magical 650W dimmer fell out of the sky then I was going to deal with that as a gimme.
It just seems conveniently divisible by 3.....24 lamps, 12 amps, etc

I would look into whether there are multiple circuits. If so, here's possibly an answer from Cooper:

Add a switch for each circuit near panel or contactor. Use this wired 300w l.e.d. dimmer for each circuit:
http://smile.amazon.com/Cooper-Wiri...8&qid=1458020093&sr=8-1&keywords=Cooper+9540n

Then use a total of (1) wireless dimmer (mount in original switch location), which is said to work with up to 5 other Z-wave devices:
http://smile.amazon.com/Cooper-Wiri...bxgy_60_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=03CJTZ865T9A7GS0SAFX

I'm not a Z-wave pro, but have a little experience with them. Might call Cooper about this setup if you find multiple circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.