Using one notification appliance circuit to trigger another NAC panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonecutter

Can one use a notification appliance circuit from an NAC amplifier panel to trigger another NAC panel? Reason, is to sync the strobes.
Presently, it is my understanding that a Notification Circuit is to supply only notification appliances.
Please don't beat me up on this. It seems simple, but sometimes it isn't.

ryant35

Can one use a notification appliance circuit from an NAC amplifier panel to trigger another NAC panel? Reason, is to sync the strobes.
Presently, it is my understanding that a Notification Circuit is to supply only notification appliances.

Yes. I've been doing it for years. Be sure to set the new NAC panel to follow sync.

If the existing NAC is being used, you can go in and out of the new NAC input terminals before the first device or in between devices. You can also wire the trigger NAC through the normally closed trouble relay on the new NAC panel to supervise if you can't or don't want to add a point to supervise.

Now there are a few issues with the new NAC accepting the signal from the existing NAC. I ran into it years ago using an EST panel to trigger a Silent Knight NAC, the EST NAC signal was too messy for the Silent Knight to activate.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

The short answer is, "yes". The longer answer is to carefully check the power supply installation manual for the method of doing this. I recall I synced a dozen or so Wheelock power supplies this way to drive about 350 horn/strobes.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Yes. I've been doing it for years. Be sure to set the new NAC panel to follow sync.

If the existing NAC is being used, you can go in and out of the new NAC input terminals before the first device or in between devices. You can also wire the trigger NAC through the normally closed trouble relay on the new NAC panel to supervise if you can't or don't want to add a point to supervise.

Now there are a few issues with the new NAC accepting the signal from the existing NAC. I ran into it years ago using an EST panel to trigger a Silent Knight NAC, the EST NAC signal was too messy for the Silent Knight to activate.

As long as you weren't trying to pump the sync from the EST to the Silent Knight you should have been fine with a "constant on" type trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.