User Tag List

Thread: Parallel runs with grounding conductor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parallel runs with grounding conductor

I have a system that utilizes multiple power feed tap points - i.e. the power feed is running parallel from one fixed point to different tap points. Normally, I would run the grounding conductor with these ungrounded feeds, but I am wondering if there are any exceptions to this rule (reference 250.25(C) ). Or does the NEC mandate that this is the case at all times?

Thanks,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    250.25(C) addresses the grounded conductor and, other than being required at a grounded service, bringing that conductor to downstream panels/equipment is optional. Your post mentioned grounding conductor which would be required in most, if not all, conditions although it can be a qualified raceway and not an actual conductor.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fair enough, I agree. However, my question is more based on whether the grounded conductor must be ran parallel to the ungrounded conductor(s) or can it take a different path?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does 300.3(B)(1) answer your question ?
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears to confirm then, that there really is no exception and the EGC needs to be parallel with the ungrounded conductors.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsybrandy View Post
    fair enough, I agree. However, my question is more based on whether the grounded conductor must be ran parallel to the ungrounded conductor(s) or can it take a different path?
    It appears to confirm then, that there really is no exception and the EGC needs to be parallel with the ungrounded conductors.
    You're confusing us:
    grounded = neutral
    grounding = EGC
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course you are right, sorry for confusing - let's stick with grounding (EGC)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsybrandy View Post
    of course you are right, sorry for confusing - let's stick with grounding (EGC)
    The only exceptions to running the grounding conductor (EGC) with the rest of the circuit conductors (in same raceway or in same cable) is when adding a grounding conductor to an existing circuit (such as a residential receptacle circuit) when there is no raceway in which to pull an additional conductor.