User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: "Individual Branch Circuit" for fridge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    We always install a duplex and call it a day. Some stupid inspectors ask for a single outlet but they are just that - stupid.
    I agree. We used to have a Sonos speaker on top of the refrigerator that was plugged into the duplex behind the refrig.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Article 100 can help.
    Yes, it can:

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    The problem I have with some interpretations of this amendment is that the refrigerator outlet is not required to be on an individual branch circuit. So, IMO, a refrigerator can be served by an individual circuit with a duplex receptacle.
    Regarding the Mass. amendment, if the manufacturers instructions require an individual branch circuit (110.3(b)) then a single receptacle would be required. Typically built in microwave, refrigerator, dishwasher are the most common pieces of equipment which potentially require a single receptacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    The inspector will have been long gone and everything will still work just fine.
    Not if the microwave is in use when the refrigerators thermostat starts the motor compressor.

--
    Tom Horne
    Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetd View Post
    Not if the microwave is in use when the refrigerators thermostat starts the motor compressor.

--
    Tom Horne
    The house I lived in for thirty years, it must have been a lucky coincident that the fridge and micro never ran at the same time. Side by Sides we’re not all that economical at the time and with half the neighbor hood teenagers in/out, seems strange.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornetd View Post

--
    Tom Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    The house I lived in for thirty years, it must have been a lucky coincident that the fridge and micro never ran at the same time. Side by Sides we’re not all that economical at the time and with half the neighbor hood teenagers in/out, seems strange.
    Kind of can say about same thing. Holding during the startup current is the biggest problem. Once you get past that you are looking at the thermal trip curve, and unless you are loaded beyond 20 amps for several minutes it likely is not tripping. Do many ever run a microwave for more than a few minutes at a time? Defrost or other special cooking modes that take longer usually cycle the magnetron so that mode isn't a continuous load for the duration.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.