User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Individual Branch Circuit" for fridge.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Individual Branch Circuit" for fridge.

This is a spinoff of this thread:
    https://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=195421

Taking into consideration Exception 2 to 210.52(B)(1) and the definition of "Branch Circuit, Individual," is it allowable to use a 15 amp circuit to serve a duplex outlet located behind, and intended to power, the fridge?

Many of us have commented on this topic before. Many have said that if you use a simplex you are compliant, but if you use a duplex you will be outside the definition. The reasoning I have read is that a duplex receptacle comprises two "outlets." I am no longer certain that a duplex could not be used in this situation. My reasoning is that the definition says that the circuit serves "only one utilization equipment." It does not say "only one outlet." The other half of a duplex located behind the fridge is essentially useless. I submit that that receptacle is only serving "one utilization equipment," namely the fridge.

By the way, I will be opening a new thread in Campfire Chat to describe our wiring woes.

I am submitting this now because we are undergoing a total kitchen remodel. It has evolved into a 100% rewiring project for the kitchen. I have not asked the electrician what he plans to use to feed the fridge. He has already installed the outlet box in the wall, and I am willing to bet he is not planning to install a simplex. But I don't know whether he is planning to use a 15 or 20 amp breaker.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Individual 15A branch circuit and a duplex recpt is ok IMO.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, '17 has different wording for the exception:
    Exception No. 2: In addition to the required receptacles specified by 210.52, a receptacle outlet to serve a specific appliance shall be permitted to be supplied from an individual branch circuit rated 15 amperes or greater.

It does, however, still use the word "receptacle outlet (singular) which would seem to support a simplex outlet IMO.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gus, I will counter that by saying that nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, ever uses the plural "receptacles," when talking about a duplex.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    FWIW, '17 has different wording for the exception:
    Right. The 2014 allowed this for just the fridge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Gus, I will counter that by saying that nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody, ever uses the plural "receptacles," when talking about a duplex.
    I agree and I imagine a huge percentage of the installs have a duplex...and I have never rejected the instal,l but I think the actaul wording calls for a simplex.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want to mention that Massachusetts has an amendment which covers this:

"210.21(B). Insert a new fifth paragraph as follows:
    (5) Receptacles on Individual Branch Circuits. A receptacle outlet installed to comply with a requirement for an individual branch circuit shall contain a single receptacle, or a multiple receptacle if, and then only to the extent that, the supplied equipment includes multiple supply cord connections. "

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leespark57 View Post
    I just want to mention that Massachusetts has an amendment which covers this:

"210.21(B). Insert a new fifth paragraph as follows:
    (5) Receptacles on Individual Branch Circuits. A receptacle outlet installed to comply with a requirement for an individual branch circuit shall contain a single receptacle, or a multiple receptacle if, and then only to the extent that, the supplied equipment includes multiple supply cord connections. "
    Have to read that a couple of times for it to sink in but makes sense (maybe because it supports my thoughts )

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a spec book you will give to the contractor?
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    The reasoning I have read is that a duplex receptacle comprises two "outlets."
    To me, a duplex receptacle is two receptacles in a single outlet.

I don't know whether he is planning to use a 15 or 20 amp breaker.
    You can always ask, can't you?
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA