Where's the Money at ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Industrial, Commercial, Residential ? New work, Service, or Both ?

Whatever you know, that's where the money is.

If you suck at industrial work, there's no money there for you.

If you suck at residential troubleshooting, there's no money there for you

Etc....

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

It will depend on what you can or can not do.

If you are good trouble shooter then service work if you are a good installer then new work is good.

This was mentioned earlier by James.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Like the song says, it's in a bank in the middle of Beverly Hills under someone else's name.

kwired

Electron manager

The "big money" in this kind of trade is in any of those areas, but is not for the single person doing it all alone either, unless maybe you land in a particular specialty area that not many others can do. Otherwise those that make it big in primarily general electrical construction and maintenance usually have successfully managed a team of people that execute the business operations.

rlundsrud

I think a better question is, what do you like to do. If you like what you are doing, you will be passionate about it and work harder at it. If you work harder at it, the money will come naturally. The bottom line, do what you enjoy doing or it doesn't matter how much you make.

The real money is in your relationships no mater which side of the trade your on. If your a contractor it goes back to how well customers like you and will recommend you to others. If your more the worker type them the better your relationships with the foreman and project managers will always get you on the better jobs and better pay.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Real Estate.

Seriously this.

Architects and engineers are lucky to get a 6% fee based on the cost of construction. And that design includes creating drawings and specs, attending meetings, designing alternates, coordinating with others, and a whole slew of other tasks.

Around here, a realtor frequently gets a 6% commission just for closing a sale. (Sometimes they have to split that with the buyers agent. But many times the buyer won't bring in their own agent).

Sure, the realtor might put a few ads in the paper, spend a few hours at open houses, do the paperwork, and spend an hour or two at the closing. But the fee to work ratio seems much, much better.

growler

From what I see on tv, it's rap music.

The odds of makeing it in the entertainment industry, music, sports, acting, danceing are not really that good.

When I was young I asked an old man what's the fastest way to make a lot of money and he said to steal it. For years I thought he was joking. Then I learned that you don't need a gun to steal what you really need is a suit ( stock broker, banker, politician ) , think Bernie Madoff.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Buy up the rights to produce a single source pharmaceutical. Jack up the price 9000%.

Status
Not open for further replies.