Wireway Conductor Spacing from Inside corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natfuelbilll

An electrical installation being inspected is using 10" x 10" x 60" long wireway. There is an 90 degree elbow at one end. The other end is open. The elbow connects to a generator mounted circuit breaker enclosure. The conductors are (5) 600kcmil per phase and neutral. (lots of copper)

Horizontal conductors pass out of the circuit breaker enclosure and into the wireway. Where the conductor begin their sweep into a vertical orientation the pass by the internal corner of the wireway. Unfortunately the wireway was not specified with a sweep elbow. I am concerned the conductor insulation may be stressed where it passes by the internal corner with possible future rub through to cause a ground fault.

So what code references can I count on to require separation of the conductor from the inside corner edge of the wireway?

I see NEC 314.28(B) but do not understand what "conductors shall be cabled or racked up in an approved manner" means.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In large pull of junction boxes long spans (over 6') can sag and put stress on the conductor as it enters and exits the conduit so supporting the conductors is required. In a wireway you do not have this problem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Horizontal conductors pass out of the circuit breaker enclosure and into the wireway. Where the conductor begin their sweep into a vertical orientation the pass by the internal corner of the wireway. Unfortunately the wireway was not specified with a sweep elbow. I am concerned the conductor insulation may be stressed where it passes by the internal corner with possible future rub through to cause a ground fault.

So what code references can I count on to require separation of the conductor from the inside corner edge of the wireway?

I don't think that you will find a specific code section that makes protection of the internal 90° edge a requirement. A similar situation occurs when using an LB style conduit body almost always without further protection over the smooth metal edge.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not aware of any code rule that really addresses that issue. Typically around her, when the electrician sees that he or she will install some form or cushioning between a sharp edge of the enclosure and the conductors. Often sheet rubber or even some of the insulation stripped off of the conductors.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I am not aware of any code rule that really addresses that issue. Typically around her, when the electrician sees that he or she will install some form or cushioning between a sharp edge of the enclosure and the conductors. Often sheet rubber or even some of the insulation stripped off of the conductors.

Common sense, what a concept!

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer

Something like this should work nicely:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1374n28/=11ii0r4

SceneryDriver

JFletcher

I've secured sections of RPVC to outside wall corners to keep comm cable from being pinched/chafed/crushed when making that 90. I might use something similar for what the OP described.

Status
Not open for further replies.