120/208 3-ph, 4W panelboard amps on A phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonCo

On a 120/208 3-ph, 4W panelboard, the total current on the A phase feeder that supplies the panel is ___ A?

The panelboard looks like this
Circuit 1 = 2.1kVA
Circuit 3-5 = 7.9kVA
Circuit 2-4-6 = 41.3 kW
Circuit 10 = 3.2 KVA
Circuit 12-14 = 22 KW
Circuit 9-11-13 = 31.3 kVA

Knowing this, I did the calculations
A phase circuits will have 17.5 amps + 114.6 amps + 183.3 amps + 86.8 amps = 402.2 amps on A phase.

Answer choices are...
A. 234.2 amps
B. 266.2 amps
C. 283.2 amps
D. 299.2 amps
E. 345.3 amps
F. 323.8 amps

What am I doing wrong? I used Watts / (208 x 1.732) for the 3-pole breakers, and I used equation Watts / 120 for my 2-pole and 1-pole breakers.. No idea how I am messing this one up. Any help is greatly appreciated, been stuck on this for a while now. Thank you very much for your time, really.

Ingenieur

Try this
draw a panel schedule
assign the kva to each ckt no.
Add up the a phase alone divide by 120
add up the a phase 2 pole shared divide by 208
the 3p will be as you calculated
sum those

JasonCo

ohhhhhhhh okay I messed up on the 2-pole breakers then... My equation would be watts / 208 for the 2-pole. I was doing watts / 120.. Duh! Thanks man :)

topgone

D? I got F as my answer. The total current in A phase would be 324.8 amps.
A phase loads would come out to 17.5 amps, 114.6 amps, 105.7 amps, 86.9 amps = 324.8 amps
My bad. I was thinking about the average line amps for a total connected load of 107.8 kVA.

JasonCo

My bad. I was thinking about the average line amps for a total connected load of 107.8 kVA.

Its no problem! Yeah I had to take into consideration the 3-pole 2-pole and 1-pole calculations, which alters the average line amps for 107.8 kVA. I appreciate your help though with this, I'm not done with all the math I have to get done before next Tuesday, will probably see another thread by me soon! These Delta Wye calculations can get a bit confusing sometimes

Smart $

Esteemed Member
D? I got F as my answer. The total current in A phase would be 324.8 amps.
A phase loads would come out to 17.5 amps, 114.6 amps, 105.7 amps, 86.9 amps = 324.8 amps
This is another no correct choice Q&A.

You can't arithmetically add Line A amperes when you have a mix of 3Ø and 1Ø L-N with 1Ø L-L.

JasonCo

This is another no correct choice Q&A.

You can't arithmetically add Line A amperes when you have a mix of 3Ø and 1Ø L-N with 1Ø L-L.

In a way if you are trying to find Line to Neutral, then forget the 3-pole and 2-pole amps because they all cancel each other out because they are all the same values so amps in the neutral would = 0. Which leaves you with a 1-pole breaker where the only path the amps can take is back through the neutral, there is no other amp current for it to cancel out in. So Line to Neutral would be 5.3KVA / 120 = 44.2amps on the neutral in this panel. Think I'm correct with this way of thinking hopefully..

But for adding amps on A phase, I thought you just add them together. I guess for test purposes that is what you would do, but you are saying this is incorrect in the real world, wouldn't work?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just adding the magnitudes is conservative in that the magnitude of the vector sum will always be less than or equal to the sum of the magnitudes. But a conservative upper limit is not necessarily the "right" answer.

Ingenieur

Aren' all loads on ph a 'in phase' so the vector magnitude = scalar magnitude?
only real components once phase shift is offset/ignored

the issue I see is mixing P and S without a pf to put everything in S

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...but you are saying this is incorrect in the real world, wouldn't work?
Depends on what you call real. For test purposes is just as real as, well, a real circuit. They are just different in nature. But I know your meaning. As GoldDigger points out, it will yield a cap to approximating an actual circuit value.

Conventional kVA addition is one-third 3Ø loads, one-half L-L loads, and full L-N loads. You will see that is less than arithmetic addition of ampere values.

If you use vector addition, you will see the result is less than both when there is unity power factor. The result could anywhere from 0 to the cap previously mentioned if power factors are not at unity.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Aren' all loads on ph a 'in phase' so the vector magnitude = scalar magnitude?
only real components once phase shift is offset/ignored

the issue I see is mixing P and S without a pf to put everything in S
Assuming unity power factor for all loads, L-L loads are ±30° out of phase with 3Ø and L-N load currents

Ingenieur

Assuming unity power factor for all loads, L-L loads are ±30° out of phase with 3Ø and L-N load currents

doesn't matter
each is calculated independently for magnitude only
empirically integrated so all loads, 1, l-l, 3 phase are in phase for the same/given phase

Smart $

Esteemed Member
doesn't matter
each is calculated independently for magnitude only
empirically integrated so all loads, 1, l-l, 3 phase are in phase for the same/given phase

A-B circuit 10A
A-N circuit 10A
A-B-C circuit 10A

What is the vector magnitude of Line A current?

Ingenieur

A-B circuit 10A
A-N circuit 10A
A-B-C circuit 10A

What is the vector magnitude of Line A current?

Ph ang does not matter
30 on a
20 on b
10 on c
10 plus the unbalance on n

engineers have a tendency to over-think and complicate things with math complexities not required

Status
Not open for further replies.