User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bell transformer wiring and Protection?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok thank you.

Would basic training tell me that the older one which won the battle between the two which is still working and not getting hot still function properly or is it to now shot ?

By the way, I was supposed to be a rock star not an electrician. 40 years later.
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    190113-1122 EST

ritelec:

The older transformer may be OK, but you really don't know how much damage was done to it. At least it probably only shortened its life a little. On the other hand it might only last a week.

As LarryFine said, put in a new one of adequate size. A new one should last at least 50 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    You probably reversed the connection of either the primary or secondary windings. Basically puts the secondaries in a shorted condition.

Did you make sure the exact same transformer wires were reconnected together?
    Why would you even consider paralleling the secondaries?
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post

I am surprised that electrician training and testing for a license does not provide knowledge on how transformers work and how to work with transformers.
    In most states there is no training necessary to get a license, only field experience.
    There are questions on the test about the correct wiring of transformer and many of those questions are probably answered wrong but not enough to fail.

If you do take formal training in your efforts to become an electrician there is normally some portion of the training that's dedicated to transformers. A person can work in the field for 20 years and never use what they have learned in class so they tend to forget a lot of what they once learned.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Why would you even consider paralleling the secondaries?
    I wouldn’t!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    190113-1307 EST

There are many transformers wound with two 240 V primaries, and two 120 V secondaries. These are connected in various ways. Quite often the secondaries are in parallel. That is the equivalent to wiring two separate transformer secondaries in parallel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gar View Post
    190113-1307 EST

There are many transformers wound with two 240 V primaries, and two 120 V secondaries. These are connected in various ways. Quite often the secondaries are in parallel. That is the equivalent to wiring two separate transformer secondaries in parallel.

Agreed.
    But in this case, it sounds like he had 2 different transformers of different size and probably manufacturer. Chances are the output voltages and internal impedance are somewhat mismatched which will result in some amount of current circulating through the secondaries.

Maybe not the end of the world, but not ideal. Given the small cost of doorbell transformers, I would have just bought a bigger one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    Agreed.
    But in this case, it sounds like he had 2 different transformers of different size and probably manufacturer. Chances are the output voltages and internal impedance are somewhat mismatched which will result in some amount of current circulating through the secondaries.

Maybe not the end of the world, but not ideal. Given the small cost of doorbell transformers, I would have just bought a bigger one.
    Yes different sizes and makes.
    :- ) I was there to get a light working off a switch... not rewire door bell transformers...
    I've wired many transformers, non paralleled. Thank you for the education..if I ever run into the scenario again..
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ritelec View Post
    Yes different sizes and makes.
    :- ) I was there to get a light working off a switch... not rewire door bell transformers...
    I've wired many transformers, non paralleled. Thank you for the education..if I ever run into the scenario again..
    Yes sir. I realize you were just tying to restore the original hookup.