User Tag List

Thread: Dwelling unit, circuits required

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwelling unit, circuits required

Hi there, as per 210.11(C)(4) in NEC'17 a new garage branch circuit is required, but in Example D1(a) it only relates the gen.lighting, small appliances, laundry and bathroom ones. Is it an omission?

thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it's not addressed in the Examples as even though its a 210 required circuit, it's not required to be a separate load in Art 220 and your Example is addressing calculated loads.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Augie, even though it is a required circuit, if there is a garage, does it fall under the per square foot rule so not added to base? Like circuits on a porch or dedicated appliance circuits in a kitchen?
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    220.12 states that for dwelling units the garage is not counted in the "per square foot" floor area nor is is considered in 220.14(J).
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Forgot about that. Hmm... So, would we add it to the standard calculations then or is it just a forget about it because it is so little used circuit?
    Student of electrical codes. Please Take others advice first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamjamma View Post
    Ok. Forgot about that. Hmm... So, would we add it to the standard calculations then or is it just a forget about it because it is so little used circuit?
    If you're trying to size your main service, I'm thinking that if you're that close that it matters, just go up a size.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector