NM boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylerado

Which article addresses sheetrock screws through the sides of plastic boxes?

Look at 314.23(B)(1)

(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a fastening
means, shall be attached by using brackets on the outside
of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior within
6 mm (1⁄4 in.) of the back or ends of the enclosure. Screws shall
not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads
in the box are protected using approved means to avoid abrasion
of conductor insulation.

480sparky

Look at 314.23(B)(1)

(1) Nails and Screws. Nails and screws, where used as a fastening
means, shall be attached by using brackets on the outside
of the enclosure, or they shall pass through the interior within
6 mm (1⁄4 in.) of the back or ends of the enclosure. Screws shall
not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads
in the box are protected using approved means to avoid abrasion
of conductor insulation.

I'm assuming the OP is asking about screws that pass through just one side of the box, and only the screw heads are exposed in the box.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
Is this about something that is already done, or is something just being considered?

Probably something that's already been done millions of times nation wide with zero consequence. To the op, just do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

user 100

of course it isn't :rant: it's about putting a sheetrock screw into the side of a nail on because you cant get a hammer on the nails. (I know, use a flatbar)

Really don't see where you can unless it's ok per manufacturer/ listing labeling stuff- that pesky art 110 ref above.

There is also 314.43- of course if the screw threads are buried in the stud/ screw is countersunk no risk to conductors but....

Against the rules? sure. Problem? no

Last edited:

alive wire

Shocked !!! I have never put a drywall screw through a nail on box that I couldn't get a hammer on and no one else has either nor have I slept with a big boned girl, I promise

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Does 110.3 really apply? Do nail on boxes come with instructions? Or just by seeing the nails we assume what the instructions are?

Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using approved means to avoid abrasion of conductor insulation.

If we don't have exposed threads in the box then we don't have to worry about it. The code does not say you can NOT mount the box the way OP wants to do it, the code section says if you have threads going THROUGH the box. So, when we mount a nail on box by screwing it through the side wall, we don't have any threads in the box and the screw is not going THROUGH the box.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Does 110.3 really apply? Do nail on boxes come with instructions? Or just by seeing the nails we assume what the instructions are?

Screws shall not be permitted to pass through the box unless exposed threads in the box are protected using approved means to avoid abrasion of conductor insulation.

If we don't have exposed threads in the box then we don't have to worry about it. The code does not say you can NOT mount the box the way OP wants to do it, the code section says if you have threads going THROUGH the box. So, when we mount a nail on box by screwing it through the side wall, we don't have any threads in the box and the screw is not going THROUGH the box.
:thumbsup:

Ive done the screws thru the side of a nail on when I dont have a smartbox handy - in fact I just did it today. Just please do not use drywall screws for anything other than drywall :rant: Man, If I was president I would legalize pot and instead outlaw drywall screws for any use other than fastening drywall.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Ive done the screws thru the side of a nail on when I dont have a smartbox handy - in fact I just did it today. Just please do not use drywall screws for anything other than drywall :rant: Man, If I was president I would legalize pot and instead outlaw drywall screws for any use other than fastening drywall.

Instead of drywall screws, just buy general purpose screws instead.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/f...fqOJqz7RT5sjQSXMELoBpHWlwMNvOIoq3txoCbGzw_wcB

Status
Not open for further replies.