Undercounter wine/beer coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I am in the process of roughing in a basement kitchen.
The owner is having a total of 6 - 24" under counter wine/ beer coolers.

The only electrical data I can get is in the install manual. It states that each unit should be served by a dedicated 15/20 amp 115 V un switched grounded receptacle.

I called a Kitchenaid store and the salesperson is telling me that each unit has an electrical requirement of approx 1 amp.

Anyone here familiar with these types of units?

There must be some type of compressor along with lighting that would seem to consume more than 1 amp.

I can't see pulling 6 home runs if the total load of all the units is say under 10 amps

Any insight appreciated.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well.... a dedicated receptacle does not necessarily mean a receptacle on a dedicated circuit. What exactly do the install instructions say?

If the power went off for awhile, then when it came back on you could be starting all six units at the same time, so one branch circuit does not seem to be enough either.

If you end up needing to have six separate circuits to comply with instructions I would look at a feeder and a six circuit panel at the site where the units will be located.

donaldelectrician

Separate circuit.

Darn what ever happened to an APPLIANCE using 50 % of a Circuit to require a Full circuit ….

Am I old ?

I once got a Lead on installing Units World Wide That Required a 2.3 amp Power Supply …

The Distance was Great , A Driving Range , I waited 2 years for this Job while they F=ed up the soft ware

I could run 7 units per circuit , and every 6 units communicated with the 7th unit L.V

Installs will be 25 units at a time , add 25 more .and 25 more so if power not brought under control

service in Caddy Shacks can Quickly be used … We retained ownership of the machines , paid a % .

I called a meeting and told him to FUSE THE POWER SUPPLY ….WaLa can run about 50 to 75 units like Fire Crackers …..

Saved them umpteen millions on initial install … Took Eng Dept 5 hours to Back Me Up …

They Drew Next to nothing but i was Bound by Power Supply Amps by Code …

Of course i could up grade these to 240 v or 480 v … Driving Ranges have great Distances ...

i got Promoted to , " President World Wide Instalation "

The Golf Machine in The Movie , " Something About Mary "

We had Deep Pockets .

Jetsons Chit .

Don

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I get paid to install electrical equipment.

More money in six circuits than there is for less circuits.
But you also have to consider the guy that bids it with one circuit may get the job and you made no money on this one if that happens.

kwired

Electron manager
Darn what ever happened to an APPLIANCE using 50 % of a Circuit to require a Full circuit ….

Unless the appliance is fastened in place - doesn't apply. I'd probably put them on one circuit if they only draw an amp.

If inspector wants to show me instructions that state individual branch circuits - I might give in but only because that is what code says, reality is it will work fine.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am in the process of roughing in a basement kitchen.
The owner is having a total of 6 - 24" under counter wine/ beer coolers.

The only electrical data I can get is in the install manual. It states that each unit should be served by a dedicated 15/20 amp 115 V un switched grounded receptacle.

I called a Kitchenaid store and the salesperson is telling me that each unit has an electrical requirement of approx 1 amp.

Anyone here familiar with these types of units?

There must be some type of compressor along with lighting that would seem to consume more than 1 amp.

I can't see pulling 6 home runs if the total load of all the units is say under 10 amps

Any insight appreciated.

I went to Kitchenaid's web site and found a 24" stainless steel model, KUBL404ESS in stainless steel. I couldn't find anything about the power draw, but the installation aid says:

"It is recommended that a separate
circuit serving only your beverage center be provided."

Emphasis mine. So "recommended" is not the same as "required". And look; they provide a handy phone number if you have any questions: 1-800-422-1230

donaldelectrician

I went to Kitchenaid's web site and found a 24" stainless steel model, KUBL404ESS in stainless steel. I couldn't find anything about the power draw, but the installation aid says:

Emphasis mine. So "recommended" is not the same as "required". And look; they provide a handy phone number if you have any questions: 1-800-422-1230

That looks like the ticket , the salesman do not quite cut it .

Best going to the Manufacturer .

Don

iwire

Staff member
But you also have to consider the guy that bids it with one circuit may get the job and you made no money on this one if that happens.

This is good stuff, I need to print this out in case I forget successful contracting requires knowing what you are bidding on.

kwired

Electron manager
This is good stuff, I need to print this out in case I forget successful contracting requires knowing what you are bidding on.

I am a contractor, you work for a contractor... I have already learned that bit of information, you are welcome for receiving that information:)

growler

That does make sense. If the customer were installing this cooler they could just plug it into any available receptacle and in most cases there wouldn't be a problem. I can see where units like this could be installed at wet bars in basements where the only receptacle is also providing power to half the basement.

I can't see any problem with putting all six of these units on one circuit but you wouldn't want that circuit feeding any other receptacles where an unknown load could be pluged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.