exit passageways and the 2015 IECC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I'm looking at the 2015 IECC soon to become a requirement here in MA and I'm looking in particular what the lighting controls requirements are in egress corridors.

Under 405.2 it lists three exemptions from the rules that follow concerning lighting control. If egress corridors not exempt, one would need at a minimum automatic timer off control for these area's. Among these exemptions is "2. stairways, exit ramps and exit passageways".

I wonder what specifically is an "exit passageway". Would it be that last interior stretch in sight of the exit door, sometimes consisting of a set of double doors, or are the "egress corridors" also "exit passageways"?

I did look for the term in the definitions chapter but no dice.

What do you think?

jumper

Not sure if this helps or not.

The 2012 IECC had this:

1. Areas designated as security or emergency areas that need to be continuously lighted.

2. Lighting in stairways or corridors that are elements of the means of egress.

It was changed to this for the 2015:

1. Areas designated as security or emergency areas that are required to be continuously lighted;

2. Emergency egress lighting that is normally off;

3. Interior exit stairways, interior exit ramps, and exit passageways

This was the reasoning:

Commenter’s Reason:
The current exception in the code makes no sense. Why should lighting in a corridor, which is an exit
access component, be exempt from the controls requirements in this code while lighting in an exit passageway is not?
This proposal would conform imprecise language in the IECC with the IBC, resulting in more consistent interpretation and
enforcement of the code. It would also avoid potential conflicts between lighting controls requirements in this code and lighting
requirements for luminous egress path markings in exits in Section 1024 of the IBC

mshields

interesting

interesting

I searched the 2012 and 2015 IECC for a definition of exit passageways and did not find one. Were the passages you cited, definitions for that term.

Regardless, I have since found that in the 2015 IBC, the term is listed. Here it makes clear that the term does indeed refer "horizontal paths of egress". That it makes a point of using the term horizontal would imply that stairwells fall into their own category and are not included by the term. Bottom line conclusion is that you don't have to have control in egress corridors.

mgookin

I'm looking at the 2015 IECC soon to become a requirement here in MA and I'm looking in particular what the lighting controls requirements are in egress corridors.

Under 405.2 it lists three exemptions from the rules that follow concerning lighting control. If egress corridors not exempt, one would need at a minimum automatic timer off control for these area's. Among these exemptions is "2. stairways, exit ramps and exit passageways".

I wonder what specifically is an "exit passageway". Would it be that last interior stretch in sight of the exit door, sometimes consisting of a set of double doors, or are the "egress corridors" also "exit passageways"?

I did look for the term in the definitions chapter but no dice.

What do you think?

An exit passageway is a fire-rated exit access corridor complete with opening protectives (fire-rated doors, dampers, protected penetrations, etc.).

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I think you will find the definition for an exit passageway in the IBC.

The IECC and the IBC are both parts of the "international code family", so the definitions should be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.