splicing old aluminum to new aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Hi all,

I have a situation where aluminum feeders and branch circuits were installed circa 1978 in a multi-family housing property. 175A 3p aluminum feeders come into the building and run vertically through three floors. We are remodeling the first floor in such a way that all vertical distribution will be interrupted. We do not have the opportunity to replace the old aluminum.

I want to make sure I engineer the interception of the aluminum correctly. Assuming we provide new aluminum conductors, is there anything special that needs to (or should) be done? For instance I found an old thread (http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=95296) that details a copper/aluminum splice kit. Is something similar necessary for "old aluminum to new aluminum" situations?

Thanks!

jeremy.zinkofsky

Hi all,

I have a situation where aluminum feeders and branch circuits were installed circa 1978 in a multi-family housing property. 175A 3p aluminum feeders come into the building and run vertically through three floors. We are remodeling the first floor in such a way that all vertical distribution will be interrupted. We do not have the opportunity to replace the old aluminum.

I want to make sure I engineer the interception of the aluminum correctly. Assuming we provide new aluminum conductors, is there anything special that needs to (or should) be done? For instance I found an old thread (http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=95296) that details a copper/aluminum splice kit. Is something similar necessary for "old aluminum to new aluminum" situations?

Thanks!

Treat it the same way you would a copper/copper splice exept use Aluminum components. The only thing I would add is the application of an anti-oxidant compound to the conductors before insertion into whatever medium you decide to use for the splicing. However, that is not a code requirement merely a precaution.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Treat it the same way you would a copper/copper splice exept use Aluminum components. The only thing I would add is the application of an anti-oxidant compound to the conductors before insertion into whatever medium you decide to use for the splicing. However, that is not a code requirement merely a precaution.
Given that you have old Al which has a greater mismatch of thermal expansion than the newer stuff, I would lean in the direction of a crimp with anti-oxidant or a screw terminal method rated for Al, also with anti-ox.

kwired

Electron manager
Given that you have old Al which has a greater mismatch of thermal expansion than the newer stuff, I would lean in the direction of a crimp with anti-oxidant or a screw terminal method rated for Al, also with anti-ox.
Me too. It was the older alloys that did require antioxidant use, newer alloys don't require antioxidant, though many still apply it because that is what they always have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.