Reasoning behind TR receptacles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I had an inspection the other day and the EI mentioned I didn't need a TR receptacle for the micro outlet above the range. I didn't know that, probably most of you do. He said over 5 ' ( I think it is actually 5 1/2) you don't need it. So I was thinking if the idea is a little kid will stick a paper clip in the outlet wouldn't a child big enough to reach counter outlets, bath outlets, etc. know enough not to do that? (I realize they could stand on a chair if they were bound and determined). Also when ever I am in someones house that has the protectors stuck in the outlets it is always the wall outlets, not the higher up ones. Just my opinion, maybe I am missing the point.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The first iteration of TR the receptacle requirement had no above 5.5' exception that came in the next code cycle. It makes sense if the purpose is to prevent small children from sticking stuff in the slots. I know from experience because I got quite a shock when I stuck something in there as a kid.

mgookin

The first iteration of TR the receptacle requirement had no above 5.5' exception that came in the next code cycle. It makes sense if the purpose is to prevent small children from sticking stuff in the slots. I know from experience because I got quite a shock when I stuck something in there as a kid.

I was a kid who pulled the prongs out of a duo-tang folder and stuck them in an outlet during a movie in 7th grade science class.
It was really cool. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And I was smart enough to hold it by the paper.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I think the height thing is because it would be much wordier to say "all receptacles that are close enough for a child under the age of 7 to get to plus those that an oversize 6-year-old can get to. Also if above a counter unless there are no stools near enough for a child to climb on...etc"

I don't care either way. I'm over the 60-70 cent difference. Now I just get annoyed when I forget to say TR when I'm at an unfamiliar supply house or when I'm at the big box and don't notice the wrong items are in the wrong place.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
The nec has taken it upon itself to make it harder for Darwin to do his job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

user 100

I had an inspection the other day and the EI mentioned I didn't need a TR receptacle for the micro outlet above the range. I didn't know that, probably most of you do. He said over 5 ' ( I think it is actually 5 1/2) you don't need it. So I was thinking if the idea is a little kid will stick a paper clip in the outlet wouldn't a child big enough to reach counter outlets, bath outlets, etc. know enough not to do that? (I realize they could stand on a chair if they were bound and determined). Also when ever I am in someones house that has the protectors stuck in the outlets it is always the wall outlets, not the higher up ones. Just my opinion, maybe I am missing the point.

The height thing is probably just the standard "overkill plus 10%" put out by the NEC to cover most any and all risks......
Lots of people have a problem with TR being required- I have no issue w/it in a home with small kids, but feel it's really something that the ho/ocpts need to handle. Actually I'd feel more comfortable w/ TR or even standard recs than those plastic prong stabs in a house because of the choke hazard.

kwired

Electron manager
If they would have changed listing standards we wouldn't have a code issue, all new receptacles would just be TR, or you probably would find some that are not listed.

ADub

Occupation
If they would have changed listing standards we wouldn't have a code issue, all new receptacles would just be TR, or you probably would find some that are not listed.

But then we'd have them in industrial and commercial spaces as well. Yuck

ADub

Occupation
That is a problem because....

How often do you plug something besides meter probes into just one slot of a receptacle?

It's a problem because it's another pointless product that offers zero value to anyone. We'll never see it happen I hope

kwired

Electron manager
It's a problem because it's another pointless product that offers zero value to anyone. We'll never see it happen I hope

TR I don't have as much problem with, WR is a joke, and is not limited mostly to dwellings.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think the TR receptacles were required to control our problem with the elderly. If they can't plug in their oxygen machine then they won't survive and the government will not have to foot their bill any longer than necessary. It is a government conspiracy....:lol:

kwired

Electron manager
TR receptacles were required in pediatric areas of health care facilities for over 20 years.

http://ecmweb.com/content/tamper-resistant-receptacles-rules-have-changed

So yes, the primary purpose is for protection of children from electrical shocks. Would not surprise me to see them extended to elementary schools and such.
Depending on how your AHJ interprets what a child care facility mentioned in 406.12(C) is, they may already be required. Some I believe are requiring this in early childhood schools or areas normally occupied by children in this classification.

jumper

Depending on how your AHJ interprets what a child care facility mentioned in 406.12(C) is, they may already be required. Some I believe are requiring this in early childhood schools or areas normally occupied by children in this classification.

Interesting. I had not noticed the exact wording, I have not done resi in awhile and had not looked closely. Thanks.

(C) Child Care Facilities.
In all child care facilities, all
nonlocking-type 125-volt, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles
shall be listed tamper-resistant receptacles.

GerryB

I think the TR receptacles were required to control our problem with the elderly. If they can't plug in their oxygen machine then they won't survive and the government will not have to foot their bill any longer than necessary. It is a government conspiracy....:lol:

Ahh, nice as we head into an INTRIGUING fun filled election year. (hopefully that's all it is)

growler

I had an inspection the other day and the EI mentioned I didn't need a TR receptacle for the micro outlet above the range. I didn't know that, probably most of you do.

The only way that could possibly do anyone any good is if they take the 2-3 dollars thay can save on a house and use it to buy lottery tickets and win ( I hear the odds are rather long).

I'm like Jay I just use the T/R for everything and don't worry about it.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was a kid who pulled the prongs out of a duo-tang folder and stuck them in an outlet during a movie in 7th grade science class.
It was really cool. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And I was smart enough to hold it by the paper.
Is that an oxymoron or just a regular moron ?:cool::p

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I think the height thing is because it would be much wordier to say "all receptacles that are close enough for a child under the age of 7 to get to plus those that an oversize 6-year-old can get to. Also if above a counter unless there are no stools near enough for a child to climb on...etc"
A friend of mine has twin boys, now grown. When they were about three she walked into the kitchen to find one of them on the counter and the other up on top of the refrigerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.