406.9(B)(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

The text of the Article is clear with respect to Extra-Duty requirements for receptacle covers in wet locations.
But then there's info note 1 which says "... flush mounted receptacles."

So would this apply to a surface mounted receptacle? Specifically it is a cord & plug connected controlled receptacle which a landscape lighting transformer will plug into (or Christmas lights, etc.).

It seems there's a logical argument that it does not (or should not) apply to this application, but defending that position seems like it would be nearly impossible due to the wording of the Article and the fact that info notes are not code.

Reason I ask is the manufacturers have priced the "extra duty" covers $10+ higher than what a non-extra-duty cover sells for and I need to buy a pallet of them. Other than the words "Extra-Duty" there does not appear to be any difference.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The info note is not a code requirement and is just mentioning where info for extra heavy duty can be found

Informational Note No. 1: Requirements for extra-duty
outlet box hoods are found in ANSI/UL 514D-2000, Cover
Plates for Flush-Mounted Wiring Devices.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Reason I ask is the manufacturers have priced the "extra duty" covers $10+ higher than what a non-extra-duty cover sells for and I need to buy a pallet of them. Other than the words "Extra-Duty" there does not appear to be any difference.

I would think that the UL listing requirements for the two would be different even if they appear the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.