Back Fed Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

k947

There is a main lug panel, but instead of using the lugs, insert a 100 amp plug on breaker as the main (being back-fed) and installing an additional means of support for that main breaker. The question is, are branch circuits allowed to be located across from this back-fed main breaker ? I didn't think you could have items across from the main, but I can't find a code section stating that.

Any guidance is appreciated to help me where to look.

Thanks

rlundsrud

I think that would be a manufacturer listing issue, not NEC. Does the gear have a sufficient bracing rating to handle a breaker located across from it. Also, would you need a hold down kit for a back-fed main. All questions for the manufacturer.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The panelboard should state how many amps can be on one stab. The ones I have seen are anywhere from 100 to 125 amps. I think the tie down may prevent a breaker from being install across from it depending on the brand

cpinetree

Cutler Hammer CH buss is rated to 200 amps.
PDF Link: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=VOL01_TAB01

Relevant section:
Eaton’s Type CH loadcenters
feature silver flash plated
copper bus in all interiors. Stabs
are rated 200 A throughout
the CH line
. Therefore, the
sum of the handle ratings
connected to any one stab is
limited to 200 A maximum

CH also uses a main hold down that would not impede the use of another breaker opposite of it (When using a back fed beaker as a main)
Link: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&allowInterrupt=1&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&noSaveAs=0&Rendition=Primary&dDocName=996687985395

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I think that would be a manufacturer listing issue, not NEC. Does the gear have a sufficient bracing rating to handle a breaker located across from it. Also, would you need a hold down kit for a back-fed main. All questions for the manufacturer.
You would need a hold down for the backfed breaker. Solar gets an exception because an inverter connected through a backfed breaker shuts down if the breaker is disconnected from the panel, but any source that does not do that needs to have a held down breaker.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In the manufactures literature I have seen limits on the size of breakers that can be opposite each other on one set of taps. As others have stated, its a manufacturers instruction and thus covered by 110.3(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.