Shield Panel from sun and heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC User

I came across a powerpoint slide presentation for electrical design of water pump stations that had a simple bullet statement indicating "For outdoor locations shield panels from sun and heat".

It didn't elaborate on what this is. Has anyone ever come across this?

templdl

I came across a powerpoint slide presentation for electrical design of water pump stations that had a simple bullet statement indicating "For outdoor locations shield panels from sun and heat".

If I can recall the dry type transformer manufacturer that I had once worked for had an option such as this for encapsulated NEMA 3R transformers which basically consists of a second top attached over the first with an airspace in between, sun shield? The top above takes the brunt of the sun's heat, the air space allows that heating to be dicipated before it can get to the actual enclosure.
I have never seen this modification as applied to a panel board or switchboard though but can't see why it can't be done.
Remember that some of the specs that you run across may not be of the real world so please don't be intimidated. If you suspect something unusual what I do is to to ask for a catalog reference as example, I.e. where did they get the idea from. It may even be your opportunity to provide something your competitors may not be able to provide by your thinking oit see ide the box and adding a modification that is nonstandard. Part of the fun is outsmarting the competition. By working with your customers making it easy to business with you is a good thing. When you quote, quote it as a package including the cost of the modification. Don't break it out as a deduction or use it as an adder unless you are pressed to do so. Your goal is to get the job.
And it is imperative to go through a drawing approval process to assure that the customer has approved what you are intending to supply.

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

What kind of equipment are we talking about? Who's the manufacturer?

NEC User

The presentation was for water pumping stations. I believe the sun shield requirement was for VFD's, PLC's, and control panels. Maybe even an alarm panel. I don't have much information to provide. No need to try to give a good response. I'm just hoping to be pointed in some direction where I can look up things for my reference. I never heard of a sun shield for electrical requirements.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Direct sunlight on the panel causes an increase in the internal panel temperature. In some cases a large increase that may impact the operation of the OCPDs.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Direct sunlight on the panel causes an increase in the internal panel temperature. In some cases a large increase that may impact the operation of the OCPDs.

I agree with Don. Some years back I had to troubleshoot a circuit and the heat of the sun would raise the interior temperature of the OCPD & it would trip. Of course the load was ON as well.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I agree with Don. Some years back I had to troubleshoot a circuit and the heat of the sun would raise the interior temperature of the OCPD & it would trip. Of course the load was ON as well.
Also impacts performance of the OL's in pump starters.

I had to monitor 8-10 dewatering pumps one summer because work level was below water table. Starter and controls were under a mini-roof. A few of the stations had to be cooled by leaving door ajar and fan blowing... or the pump would shut down.

templdl

That is where sun shields are often supplied with transformers as described in my previous post. Re adding those created a barrier between the direct heat of the sun and thee transformer.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
One customer of mine swears that painting his gray panels white made the difference between his vfd's staying running and shutting down on overtemp.

Status
Not open for further replies.