Static electricity in house

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC User

I came across a house that the owners said they receive a lot of static electricity shocks, touching light switches, receptacles, plug in light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc. I opened the majority of receptacles and light switches and everything has equipment grounding conductors. Any thoughts?

mgookin

I came across a house that the owners said they receive a lot of static electricity shocks, touching light switches, receptacles, plug in light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc. I opened the majority of receptacles and light switches and everything has equipment grounding conductors. Any thoughts?

Some people are more prone to static electricity than others. Even with a conductive floor and everything bonded in our ESD facility there's one employee who gets zapped all the time even if he's barefoot. It happens to him everywhere he goes - the bank, grocery store, at home, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
Some people are more prone to static electricity than others. Even with a conductive floor and everything bonded in our ESD facility there's one employee who gets zapped all the time even if he's barefoot. It happens to him everywhere he goes - the bank, grocery store, at home, etc.
Maybe he eats/drinks enough dielectric and metals that he is essentially a better battery then everyone else.:cool:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
When we lived in Reno, at certain times of the year, you made sure that you slapped the door knob first or quickly grabbed mom's arm before she kissed you goodbye. Sometimes you would see a 3" or longer spark jump from your finger and getting shocked on the lips hurts.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
When we lived in Reno, at certain times of the year, you made sure that you slapped the door knob first or quickly grabbed mom's arm before she kissed you goodbye. Sometimes you would see a 3" or longer spark jump from your finger and getting shocked on the lips hurts.

The tip of your ear! When we were kids we would have static wars, in Maine. Rub stockinged feet on the carpet and nail the brother or sister. The very tip of the ear is a very bad spot.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer

I encountered this same thing in an orchestra rehearsal hall once. Turned out the guy was a really poor conductor.

pkelectrical

Experienced lot of static electricity in new construction homes when they just installed carpet. After walking on the carpet for 30 seconds you would get electrocuted every-time you touched a ground. This is really annoying when you have to install all the devices and fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.