User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: NJ Exam requirement change

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,386
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the IBEW and IMO this is grossly unfair. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit to follow. You can get more info by searching NJ A2182.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I'm in the IBEW and IMO this is grossly unfair. Hopefully there will be a lawsuit to follow. You can get more info by searching NJ A2182.

    The Union has as much right to organize their members. I would say they should at least have a grandfather clause for the ones that are already in the pipeline.

    That is not fair if you thought your five years you were counting on by law is now worth zero.

    But, you are dealing with politicians so ......

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    27,386
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary11734 View Post
    The Union has as much right to organize their members. I would say they should at least have a grandfather clause for the ones that are already in the pipeline.

    That is not fair if you thought your five years you were counting on by law is now worth zero.

    But, you are dealing with politicians so ......
    From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
    Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
    Getting more young people in school works for all.
    I was a union apprentice, and the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

    And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,651
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary11734 View Post
    Well, at least the ones that thought they were going to be able to sit for the exam by the past law, they will have an opportunity.
    Getting more young people in school works for all.
    I was a union apprentice, and the contractor paid for it all. You really can't beat it... College kids come out and in debt up to their eyeballs.

    And, you can move up real quick in the trades if you are a hustler and willing to lead.
    Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    421
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Sure, if it's a union shop. Not so good for the guy (as above) trying to leave a nice business for his son/daughter to step into. I can see that a kid working summers and weekends for Dad since 13 or so having a real good grasp of the business by the time he/she hits 19. This is just a tool to shut down non-union shops.
    But, they are giving a grandfather clause for those already in the pipeline. The new kids will do just fine after that. It's laughable to think the unions can stop much of anything these days.

    Of course, it's a union tactic.

    They are the past. Globalization has killed the unions forever. Look what Boeing did, they just move the plant. And, we don't work in that small 25-mile radius as the mom and pops did...

    The Democrats threw the unions under the bus for Wallstreet during the Clinton years so their power is diminished. And now, the Democrats have their sights south of the border so the unions have no power, per se...

    The unions have one commodity to sell, labor. If they ever figure out how to market that labor, they will survive and prosper.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way this was explained to me was that it was a "back door deal" initiated by the labor unions. They went direct to the Governor with this and got it enacted. This was never presented before the Electrical Licensing Board. What a scam !!!

    Try to find this law as it is written is like a needle in a haystack. If anyone finds it please post it here. I'll do some research as well.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    173
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    The way this was explained to me was that it was a "back door deal" initiated by the labor unions. They went direct to the Governor with this and got it enacted. This was never presented before the Electrical Licensing Board. What a scam !!!

    Try to find this law as it is written is like a needle in a haystack. If anyone finds it please post it here. I'll do some research as well.
    Yes, seems like another NJ politician using his office for personal gain. I'm sure most voters of his district take no interest in the Board of Electrical Examiners affairs.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,878
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    From what I've read this will not go into effect immediately but will be phased in over the next 4 years giving those who are currently working towards their 5 year of experience a chance to sit for the exam.
    That's all well and fine but why was none of this passed through the Board Of Electrical Examiners ? Few, if any at all on the Board, knew about this. I'm not opposed to the idea that new electrical contractors should have better educations and experiences before being granted licenses. However, this should have been made public and voted on at the Board instead of having it shoved down our throats through a back-room deal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •