User Tag List

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Two switchboards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    Ok 230.2 says for the purpose of 230.40 exception no.2 only, ungrounded sets of conductors 1/0 awg and larger, running to the same location and connected at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered one service.

See for the purpose of 230.40 exception no. 2 in their.

Is that an extension of 230.40 exception no.2 i.e an addition to or is that implying if i have two to six disconnect grouped but not connected at load end but connected at supply end with 1/0awg or larger is one service? My swbd are not grouped.
    OK, go back to post 9.. two services...
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Yes. and if you want to consider it as (2) services, to me, 250.64(F) would require the electrode conductor be run directly to the electrodes or the previously described "plate"
    The plate in my case is the neutral bar in swbd #1. 250.64(F) does not say it cannot be the same busbar as in the switchboard so as long as the neutral busbar in swbd #1 is 0.25 in x 2 in wide and in accessible location. Switchboard neutral bus bar is accessible.

I dont see anywhere else in code above cannot be done. No?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that to be a real "stretch" of the "common buss" wording but obviously we are of a different opinion.
    You have mine in that is it's a violation.
    Perhaps there will be more Forum input.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plate in my case is the neutral bar in swbd #1. 250.64(F) does not say it cannot be the same busbar as in the switchboard so as long as the neutral busbar in swbd #1 is 0.25 in x 2 in wide and in accessible location. Switchboard neutral bus bar is accessible.

I dont see anywhere else in code above cannot be done. No?

why don't you just go from 2nd service to building steel. And use building steel to bond any other electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system. If these two laterals supplied two grouped service disconnects the NEC stipulates a tap to a common grounding electrode conductor.

If you do not do this for grouped disconnects why would you do this for two separate service disconnects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    why don't you just go from 2nd service to building steel. And use building steel to bond any other electrodes that are part of the grounding electrode system. If these two laterals supplied two grouped service disconnects the NEC stipulates a tap to a common grounding electrode conductor.

If you do not do this for grouped disconnects why would you do this for two separate service disconnects
    If I had decision to make I would get busbar separate outside of swbd and have one GEC from swbd #1 , one GEC to swbd #2 to outside busbar and then have bonding jumpers from the busbar to GE.

But I am being questioned as to the installation of neutral bar as common bus in swbd #1 by the owners where is it in NEC code violation. Its accessible and bonding jumpers are going to GE and GEC come from swbd #2 to swbd #1 neutral bar. It complies per nec 250.64(F)(3) so as long as neutral bar in swbd #1 is 0.25 in by 2 in.
    Last edited by hhsting; 01-24-19 at 11:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had decision to make I would get busbar separate outside of swbd and have one GEC from swbd #1 , one GEC to swbd #2 to outside busbar and then have bonding jumpers from the busbar to GE.

But I am being questioned as to the installation of neutral bar as common bus in swbd #1 by the owners where is it in NEC code violation. Its accessible and bonding jumpers are going to GE and GEC come from swbd #2 to swbd #1 neutral bar. It complies per nec 250.64(F)(3) so as long as neutral bar in swbd #1 is 0.25 in by 2 in.
    Well from an authority prospective the plate is not an equipment ground or neutral bar in a panel nor a bar inside a dry transformer. I do not see the issue of providing a bonding plate/bar in the electric room provided for this purpose.

An authority at times needs to make this call

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well from an authority prospective the plate is not an equipment ground or neutral bar in a panel nor a bar inside a dry transformer. I do not see the issue of providing a bonding plate/bar in the electric room provided for this purpose.

An authority at times needs to make this call
    What providing bonding plate/bar in fire pump room instead of electric room?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What providing bonding plate/bar in fire pump room instead of electric room?

The assumption was #1 service was the larger service bonding jumpers from a plate at #1 location would be sized also correct for #2 service

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The assumption was #1 service was the larger service bonding jumpers from a plate at #1 location would be sized also correct for #2 service
    I mean separate busbar out of service equipments per nec 250.64(f)(3) in accessible location in fire pump room location of swbd #2 instead of electric room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    250.6 Objectionable Current. (A) Arrangement to Prevent Objectionable Current. The grounding of electrical systems, circuit conductors, surge arresters, surge-protective devices, and conductive normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment shall be installed and arranged in a manner that will prevent objectionable current
    two neutral to ground bonds on one electrical system(the same transformer)at two separated areas connected by conductive paths, i think this is your real problem.