User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 150

Thread: Two switchboards

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Two switchboards

    I have two service laterals from one utility transformer. One goes to swbd #1 and second goes to swbd #2.

    In swbd #1 I have gnd bus and neutral bus, main bonding jumper, from neutral bar GECs to bldg steel, underground metal pipe, gnd rods.

    Just so I can tie all building GE together, can I tie another GEC from swb#1 neutral bar and tie to Gnd bus of swbd #2 that has main bonding jumper? Code allows that? Or I need main bus bar outside with conductors going to GE and one conductor going to Swbd #1 and second conductor going to swbd #2?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    17,297
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    I have two service laterals from one utility transformer. One goes to swbd #1 and second goes to swbd #2.

    In swbd #1 I have gnd bus and neutral bus, main bonding jumper, from neutral bar GECs to bldg steel, underground metal pipe, gnd rods.

    Just so I can tie all building GE together, can I tie another GEC from swb#1 neutral bar and tie to Gnd bus of swbd #2 that has main bonding jumper? Code allows that? Or I need main bus bar outside with conductors going to GE and one conductor going to Swbd #1 and second conductor going to swbd #2?

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    IIRC, you can tie it to the first swbd ground bus if it is a ground bar that is at least 1" x 2".
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cherry Valley NY, Seattle, WA
    Posts
    5,218
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these switchboards grouped? Are you sure they are service laterals off the transformer? Something doesn't seem right.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

    "You can't generalize"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Are these switchboards grouped? Are you sure they are service laterals off the transformer? Something doesn't seem right.
    Its brand new building so I can see it. I have two sets of service conductors from one utility transformer: one goes to building swbd #1 and other swbd #2. Swbd #2 has building ats/controller fire pump load and breakers to other motor load related to fire pump so no both are not grouped in one location.

    Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    16,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I read 250.64(D), it is not allowed. A grounding electrode conductor must be brought from each service disconnect and terminated to the grounding electrodes or a common grounding electrode conductor sized for both disconnects or a bar as specified in 250.64(D)(1) and reference by petersonra above.
    Removal of 1 switchboard can not interrupt the path of the other to the grounding electrode system.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    The way I read 250.64(D), it is not allowed. A grounding electrode conductor must be brought from each service disconnect and terminated to the grounding electrodes or a common grounding electrode conductor sized for both disconnects or a bar as specified in 250.64(D)(1) and reference by petersonra above.
    Removal of 1 switchboard can not interrupt the path of the other to the grounding electrode system.
    I dont think 250.64(D) applies. 250.64(D) which says if a building is supplied by a service with two or more disconnecting. So if you have one service with muiltiple service disconnect then 250.64(D) applies.

    I have two services from one utility transformer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    16,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I read 230.2 what you have is considered one service.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    As I read 230.2 what you have is considered one service.
    Ah 230.2 you mean when it says 1/0 AWG and larger running to same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end considered one service.
    Last edited by augie47; 01-24-19 at 08:55 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    16,371
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. and if you want to consider it as (2) services, to me, 250.64(F) would require the electrode conductor be run directly to the electrodes or the previously described "plate"
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Glen bunie, md, us
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    Ah 230.2 you mean when it says 1/0 AWG and larger running to same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end considered one service.

    Yes. and if you wantt o consider it as (2) services, to me, 250.64(F) would require the electrode conductor be run directly to the electrodes or the previously described "plate"
    Ok 230.2 says for the purpose of 230.40 exception no.2 only, ungrounded sets of conductors 1/0 awg and larger, running to the same location and connected at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered one service.

    See for the purpose of 230.40 exception no. 2 in their.

    Is that an extension of 230.40 exception no.2 i.e an addition to or is that implying if i have two to six disconnect grouped but not connected at load end but connected at supply end with 1/0awg or larger is one service? My swbd are not grouped.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •