User Tag List

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Two switchboards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two switchboards

I have two service laterals from one utility transformer. One goes to swbd #1 and second goes to swbd #2.

In swbd #1 I have gnd bus and neutral bus, main bonding jumper, from neutral bar GECs to bldg steel, underground metal pipe, gnd rods.

Just so I can tie all building GE together, can I tie another GEC from swb#1 neutral bar and tie to Gnd bus of swbd #2 that has main bonding jumper? Code allows that? Or I need main bus bar outside with conductors going to GE and one conductor going to Swbd #1 and second conductor going to swbd #2?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    I have two service laterals from one utility transformer. One goes to swbd #1 and second goes to swbd #2.

In swbd #1 I have gnd bus and neutral bus, main bonding jumper, from neutral bar GECs to bldg steel, underground metal pipe, gnd rods.

Just so I can tie all building GE together, can I tie another GEC from swb#1 neutral bar and tie to Gnd bus of swbd #2 that has main bonding jumper? Code allows that? Or I need main bus bar outside with conductors going to GE and one conductor going to Swbd #1 and second conductor going to swbd #2?

IIRC, you can tie it to the first swbd ground bus if it is a ground bar that is at least 1" x 2".
    Bob

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these switchboards grouped? Are you sure they are service laterals off the transformer? Something doesn't seem right.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Are these switchboards grouped? Are you sure they are service laterals off the transformer? Something doesn't seem right.
    Its brand new building so I can see it. I have two sets of service conductors from one utility transformer: one goes to building swbd #1 and other swbd #2. Swbd #2 has building ats/controller fire pump load and breakers to other motor load related to fire pump so no both are not grouped in one location.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way I read 250.64(D), it is not allowed. A grounding electrode conductor must be brought from each service disconnect and terminated to the grounding electrodes or a common grounding electrode conductor sized for both disconnects or a bar as specified in 250.64(D)(1) and reference by petersonra above.
    Removal of 1 switchboard can not interrupt the path of the other to the grounding electrode system.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    The way I read 250.64(D), it is not allowed. A grounding electrode conductor must be brought from each service disconnect and terminated to the grounding electrodes or a common grounding electrode conductor sized for both disconnects or a bar as specified in 250.64(D)(1) and reference by petersonra above.
    Removal of 1 switchboard can not interrupt the path of the other to the grounding electrode system.
    I dont think 250.64(D) applies. 250.64(D) which says if a building is supplied by a service with two or more disconnecting. So if you have one service with muiltiple service disconnect then 250.64(D) applies.

I have two services from one utility transformer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I read 230.2 what you have is considered one service.
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    As I read 230.2 what you have is considered one service.
    Ah 230.2 you mean when it says 1/0 AWG and larger running to same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end considered one service.
    Last edited by augie47; 01-24-19 at 08:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. and if you want to consider it as (2) services, to me, 250.64(F) would require the electrode conductor be run directly to the electrodes or the previously described "plate"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    Ah 230.2 you mean when it says 1/0 AWG and larger running to same location and connected together at their supply end but not connected together at their load end considered one service.

Yes. and if you wantt o consider it as (2) services, to me, 250.64(F) would require the electrode conductor be run directly to the electrodes or the previously described "plate"
    Ok 230.2 says for the purpose of 230.40 exception no.2 only, ungrounded sets of conductors 1/0 awg and larger, running to the same location and connected at their supply end but not connected together at their load end shall be considered one service.

See for the purpose of 230.40 exception no. 2 in their.

Is that an extension of 230.40 exception no.2 i.e an addition to or is that implying if i have two to six disconnect grouped but not connected at load end but connected at supply end with 1/0awg or larger is one service? My swbd are not grouped.