User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: PANEL GROUNDING

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Farmingham, MA
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    PANEL GROUNDING

    I need some help with something I should already know but I am not certain of the answer. We purchased a home out of state and a short time later decided I needed a receptical in the garage. After removing the cover to the 200 amp panel I notice the bonding screw was installed in the panel [will be removed]. There is a sub panel outside for the pool equipment[inground] which is feed with a 4 wire cable no main breaker in sub, 2 phase conductors 1 neutral 1 equipment ground bonded in sub panel.




    All the ground wires and neutral wires are on same neutral bar in main panel.

    My question is should all the bonds and neutrals be seperate in main panel and the egc and neutral be seperate in main panel ?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    17,422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can say this. The neutral to earth bond is to be made at one point, generally at the place where the service connection is made. It should not be duplicated downstream of that point.
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Fl
    Posts
    17,611
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bure961 View Post
    I need some help with something I should already know but I am not certain of the answer. We purchased a home out of state and a short time later decided I needed a receptical in the garage. After removing the cover to the 200 amp panel I notice the bonding screw was installed in the panel [will be removed].
    Is this the service equipment?


    Quote Originally Posted by bure961 View Post
    All the ground wires and neutral wires are on same neutral bar in main panel.
    Normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by bure961 View Post
    My question is should all the bonds and neutrals be seperate in main panel and the egc and neutral be seperate in main panel ?
    Not if the panel is the service equipment.

    Roger
    Moderator

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Farmingham, MA
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is the main panel in the home, plus there is a outside sub panel.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    24,959
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In that case, leave the bonding screw in place.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Farmingham, MA
    Posts
    139
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok . I always though when there is a sub panel you remove the bonding screw in the main panel. I was wrong . thanks for the help here. I feel much better now knowing its done right.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    17,422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bure961 View Post
    ok . I always though when there is a sub panel you remove the bonding screw in the main panel. I was wrong . thanks for the help here. I feel much better now knowing its done right.
    the bonding screw is used when the panel is the place where the bond is made between the neutral and ground. usually the service point.
    Bob

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,721
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The green screw is a main bonding jumper (of the screw type) its primary purpose is to bond between the neutral and the equipment grounding bus when an equipment grounding bus kit is added to a panel. By default it also makes the (required) bond to the metal can that houses the electrical panel to the system neutral

    Thus the reason for the screw being green in color

    another location commonly used to bond the neutral to ground (earth) is in the meter enclosure when the neutral lug has a lug provided for that purpose (some utilities disallow the meter location)

    When the main bonding jumper is the screw type the green screw is not intended to establish a bond between the neutral and the grounding electrode conductor (bond to earth)
    Last edited by david; 01-25-19 at 05:43 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    113
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bure961 View Post
    I notice the bonding screw was installed in the panel [will be removed].
    It that's the main panel where the neutral/ground bond occurs, i don't think you want to remove the bonding screw.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •