3M 312 Spring connectors splitting on installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How much bare conductor do you have after you strip the insulation off the end? Those connectors are designed for a 1/2" of bare conductor. Stripping more will allow the end up into the small part of the connector resulting in enough force to split the connector....also using a tool to tighten the connector may cause this same issue.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I've never liked 3M wire connectors. They've always been inferior to Ideal in my book.
Have done the same thing with the Ideal wingnuts where I have stripped the conductors too long....those were long my favorite wire connectors, but now my favorite is the 3M R/Y ones.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have a bag of those for anyone that wants them. So firkin crappy , They have sat there for a few years now. Plastic is too soft and brittle. :thumbsdown:

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have a bag of those for anyone that wants them. So firkin crappy , They have sat there for a few years now. Plastic is too soft and brittle. :thumbsdown:

I have that problem from time to time with those also.

I found it more problematic when temps are below 40*, I think I took a few apart to see what the problem was if I remember there was a little kick in the end of the spring that normally is not there so once a little tension is applied it wants to blow the side out.

Usually just getting a different batch solves the problem. It's drove me nuts too but I still prefer it's holding power over the scotch-lock which I find spins out inside many times before enough tension is achieved resulting in numbers of burnt connections that I have come across.

user 100

I still prefer it's holding power over the scotch-lock which I find spins out inside many times before enough tension is achieved resulting in numbers of burnt connections that I have come across.

The old skotchloks from the '70s didn't seem to bite right away, and don't want to back off either.:rant:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I have that problem from time to time with those also.

I found it more problematic when temps are below 40*, I think I took a few apart to see what the problem was if I remember there was a little kick in the end of the spring that normally is not there so once a little tension is applied it wants to blow the side out.

Usually just getting a different batch solves the problem. It's drove me nuts too but I still prefer it's holding power over the scotch-lock which I find spins out inside many times before enough tension is achieved resulting in numbers of burnt connections that I have come across.

The old skotchloks from the '70s didn't seem to bite right away, and don't want to back off either.:rant:
So why use these crappy connectors, I don't anymore.

years ago Engineers would spec out scotch locks. To hell with them. These 3m the wire can poke though the end and ground out on a box. Gee I really like that. Poof when you are moving the wires around in a box.

I have used them all. Ideal , and even some of the no name brands with the wings and the ribs are great.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I like the Ideal ones also, but for comfort, the 3M are a little nicer on the fingers. Unless it's a big job and using twisters.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So why use these crappy connectors, I don't anymore.

years ago Engineers would spec out scotch locks. To hell with them. These 3m the wire can poke though the end and ground out on a box. Gee I really like that. Poof when you are moving the wires around in a box.

I have used them all. Ideal , and even some of the no name brands with the wings and the ribs are great.
Just about every electrical connector 3M has ever made is called a "scotchlok", including the ones in the original post in this thread.
images
images
images
images
79978-ProductImageURL.jpg

kwired

Electron manager
The connector in the OP is their "Ranger" product line.

I agree they have many products with "Scotchlok" name on it not just twist on connectors.

I have used mostly those Ranger connectors for a long time and haven't had any more or less trouble then with other types.

I dislike any twist on connector that doesn't have "wings" other then maybe for smaller then 14 AWG might be ok.

I to think the Ranger's are a little easier on the fingers if installing several in short time. They also seem to take 3-#12 better then other "yellow" connectors I have used.

user 100

The springs look like they got hot and discolored. You say that's what they look like out of the box?

Not familiar with the process of wire nut manufacturing , but maybe they over tempered those springs, and then dipped them before they were cool enough, causing a weakened plastic jacket when everything cooled/setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.