User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: replacing ceiling light with paddle fan - AFCI required?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

replacing ceiling light with paddle fan - AFCI required?

If I am replacing a ceiling light in a dwelling unit family room or bedroom, with a paddle fan/ light, does the NEC require this new fan to have AFCI protection? Since this isn't a new outlet, I don't see that adding AFCI protection would be required. Your thoughts? 2017 NEC. To be clear, there is no new wiring. Simply removing the existing light and box, installing fan rated box and fan with light kit. I know there have been many similar discussions, I did some searching, and couldn't find anything closely related.
    Formerly J Erickson as username.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not required.
    Ron

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed: not. It's just another fixture, even with a fan box.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't. Even if it was.
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the replies. I had a disagreement with an inspector over this. After explaining my interpretation, I haven't heard back from him. I am waiting to hear whether my customer wants to spend the money to add the AFCI protection, or have me appeal the decision to the state, which is a straightforward process that cand take a few months. The repercussion could be having to add AFCI protection to 15 units in a state housing authority property if they don't want me to appeal the decision. (This doesn't affect me financially, if I need to add the AFI's it is billable. The housing authority will ultimately cover it, and eventually at the expense of taxpayer. Albeit it not enough to "matter")

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I had a disagreement with an inspector over this. After explaining my interpretation, I haven't heard back from him. I am waiting to hear whether my customer wants to spend the money to add the AFCI protection, or have me appeal the decision to the state, which is a straightforward process that cand take a few months. The repercussion could be having to add AFCI protection to 15 units in a state housing authority property if they don't want me to appeal the decision. (This doesn't affect me financially, if I need to add the AFI's it is billable. The housing authority will ultimately cover it, and eventually at the expense of taxpayer. Albeit it not enough to "matter")
    Your inspector's supervisor been involved, or is that the part that takes months?

If I had such a situation my inspector would call his supervisor right in front of me, and we likely come to a decision right then and there. If I don't like the decision and don't want to comply, then it gets more complicated.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Your inspector's supervisor been involved, or is that the part that takes months?

If I had such a situation my inspector would call his supervisor right in front of me, and we likely come to a decision right then and there. If I don't like the decision and don't want to comply, then it gets more complicated.
    There is no supervisor. It's just him. Which is typical in this state, unless you are in one of the larger cities. If we don't get to the point where we see things the same, there are 2 choices. 1. Change it to what he wants, 2. Appeal to the state, which takes a few months. Actually 3 choices. I can do what he wants (to allow the contractor to collect final payment) and still appeal the decision to the state. But this option is only for self-gratification.

I haven't heard back from him in a few days. Hoping he will reconsider.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no supervisor. It's just him. Which is typical in this state, unless you are in one of the larger cities. If we don't get to the point where we see things the same, there are 2 choices. 1. Change it to what he wants, 2. Appeal to the state, which takes a few months. Actually 3 choices. I can do what he wants (to allow the contractor to collect final payment) and still appeal the decision to the state. But this option is only for self-gratification.

IOW any supervisor he has is not electrically qualified to challenge any of his decisions in said area? He certainly got hired by someone even if a board or council, and can also be fired by same, otherwise how did he acquire his monarch?

Apparently no State AHJ or at least laws are written that they can't intervene, or they think they are too busy to care to intervene? Many times State AHJ still has authority over local AHJ's and sets some standards the locals must follow.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it a city AHJ or a housing authority inspector? We have them here for section 8 inspections, sometimes require things above the code, like an ungrounded outlet you can't just put in a gfi, you have to run a ground.
    Last edited by GoldDigger; 02-02-19 at 05:43 PM. Reason: fix /QUOTE tag

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    IOW any supervisor he has is not electrically qualified to challenge any of his decisions in said area? He certainly got hired by someone even if a board or council, and can also be fired by same, otherwise how did he acquire his monarch?

Apparently no State AHJ or at least laws are written that they can't intervene, or they think they are too busy to care to intervene? Many times State AHJ still has authority over local AHJ's and sets some standards the locals must follow.
    He would typically be hired by the town manager, or board of selectman. But they cannot overrule his professional decision. We have a procedure to appeal his decision to the State Board of Electrical Examiners. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
    Was it a city AHJ or a housing authority inspector? We have them here for section 8 inspections, sometimes require things above the code, like an ungrounded outlet you can't just put in a gfi, you have to run a ground.
    This was the Town wiring inspector, not an inspector from the Housing Authority. I've run into housing and health regulations/ codes that require more than is required by the NEC.