Canopy rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Ever run into this? A large fixture, in this case quite a large chandelier, 3 feet diameter but not especially heavy, 50 lbs or so. Instead of the threaded stud supporting it and you drop the canopy and the nut down over the chain while you wire it this fixture had the bracket with two 8-32's that you mount to the ceiling box and you have to somehow wire it (need two people) then push the canopy over the 8-32's and catch with the decorative nuts they give you. Are 8-32's rated for 50lbs? I'm wondering now if they even included the right canopy with this light.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Ever run into this? A large fixture, in this case quite a large chandelier, 3 feet diameter but not especially heavy, 50 lbs or so. Instead of the threaded stud supporting it and you drop the canopy and the nut down over the chain while you wire it this fixture had the bracket with two 8-32's that you mount to the ceiling box and you have to somehow wire it (need two people) then push the canopy over the 8-32's and catch with the decorative nuts they give you. Are 8-32's rated for 50lbs? I'm wondering now if they even included the right canopy with this light.

I just hung one a few weeks ago that mounted just like that. It wasn't as big as yours but I could have used some help on it.
Had to sort of wrap my arm around it, kind of cradling it, so that I could wire it.
Then trying to line up those tiny holes for the studs to come through to put the nuts on.........:rant: Also trying to "cram" the wire back up under the canopy where it would creep out!!!!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A standard box is rated for 50 pounds and they have 8-32 screws, so they must be intended to support 50 pounds.
From the UL White Book.
A box, with or without a bracket or bar hanger, intended for support of a fixture/luminaire weighing 50 lbs or less is marked "FOR FIXTURE/LUMINAIRE SUPPORT" on the carton to indicate that the box is intended for fixture/luminaire support. A box, with or without a bracket or bar hanger, intended for support of a fixture/luminaire weighing more than 50 lbs is marked with the weight of the fixture/luminaire to be supported.
The cartons of almost all boxes, other than device boxes are so marked. (that wording was from the metallic outbox guide information, almost identical wording appears in the non-metallic outlet box guide information)

Status
Not open for further replies.