Extraneous Conductive Parts above False Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
My question is , is there any article in NEC support the following:

all extraneous conductive parts of the building such as metallic water pipes, drain pipes, other services pipes and ducting, metallic conduits and raceways, cable trays and cable Armour are to be connected to nearest earthing terminals by equipotential bonding conductors. cross section of the protective bonding conductor is not to be less half that of the protective conductor connected to respective earthing terminal and min. 4 mm2

please, if there any article in NEC support the above statement, let me know

if not, so i would like ask: is it required to connect any metallic conduits/water pipes which installed above false ceiling to connect to earth terminals?

iwire

Staff member
My question is , is there any article in NEC support the following:

all extraneous conductive parts of the building such as metallic water pipes, drain pipes, other services pipes and ducting, metallic conduits and raceways, cable trays and cable Armour are to be connected to nearest earthing terminals by equipotential bonding conductors. cross section of the protective bonding conductor is not to be less half that of the protective conductor connected to respective earthing terminal and min. 4 mm2

please, if there any article in NEC support the above statement, let me know

No section in the NEC requires anything so broad or all encompassing above a ceiling.

if not, so i would like ask: is it required to connect any metallic conduits/water pipes which installed above false ceiling to connect to earth terminals?

Metal water pipe systems are required to be bonded once

Metal conduits containing circuit conductors are required to be grounded.

Cable armor would be grounded at each end by the metal enclosure it is connected to.

As was mentioned it sounded like a design specification.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
Many thanks for you feedback

if there is no section in NEC talk about that, so based in what you said the following:

Cable armor would be grounded at each end by the metal enclosure it is connected to.

mgookin

Many thanks for you feedback

if there is no section in NEC talk about that, so based in what you said the following:

And building steel would be bonded as well.

TMMB

Occupation
Electrical Manager
finally, is it required or not to connect all metal bodies such above false ceiling as water pipes, firefighting pipes, A/C ducts,.....??

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
finally, is it required or not to connect all metal bodies such above false ceiling as water pipes, firefighting pipes, A/C ducts,.....??

Read part V of article 250, it covers what your questions. Parts IV, VI, and VII could help too.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.