User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Separate closet for elevator disconnects?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Separate closet for elevator disconnects?

    Hello,

    I have had this question for a long time. I have researched a lot on this subject but i am still confused about elevator disconnect locations.

    As per NEC 620.37(NEC 2011) only such electrical wiring used directly in connection with the elevator shall be permitted inside the hoistway,machine rooms,control rooms,machinery spaces and control spaces.

    Now if you have a disconnect for elevator motor and a disconnect for cab lights, can you put them in a near by electrical closet in combination with other equipment like panelboards? I guess from the code above i cant. So in that case you would be needing a small closet maybe about 30"w X 12"d closet to house those disconnects? I asked the elevator rep and he was mentioning it is okay to combine them with other equipment but i am not 100% sure on this after reading the code.

    Second question is now a days with MRL elevators atleast for Schindler and KONE elevators we have a fused disconnect switch in the elev.control room or closet and then a non fused disconnect switch in the hoistway. I am not sure why you would be needing two disconnects?Can you just have one fusible disconnect at the top of the hoistway and call it a day which would eliminate the need of having a separate closet?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump!Any one?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Elevator Disconnects

    I am an estimator for a commercial electrical contractor and have only seen these items in elev. machine room. However, as an estimator we assume a lot of things and the field will do another to save on cost. If it were me I would follow 620.37 and assume the location to be in the elev. machine room.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChandlerBing View Post
    I am an estimator for a commercial electrical contractor and have only seen these items in elev. machine room. However, as an estimator we assume a lot of things and the field will do another to save on cost. If it were me I would follow 620.37 and assume the location to be in the elev. machine room.
    For MRL elevators motor sits on top of the hoistway. So yeah for hydraulic elevators we already have a elevator machine room which will house all the disconnects but in MRL case is where the question comes in

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of elevator are you designing around and how many floors of travel? If you're dealing with an MRL, I've never had an issue having other non-elevator systems in the disconnect room/closet, unless it is a manufacturer specific requirement. If you do not have an MRL elevator, you're correct and should not have any non-elevator related equipment in the same room. Typically, I do panel in a separate room, feeding fused disconnects in equipment room, with non-fused disconnects inside the elevator shaft. Link below has photos though of the last non-MRL machine room I was around if it's of any use to you.


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77brxkmn0...wi5WHO19a?dl=0
    I'm offended.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Elevator Disconnects

    My mistake. I think 620.53 in 2017 NEC is what I would reference for this instance.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Mountain View Post
    What kind of elevator are you designing around and how many floors of travel? If you're dealing with an MRL, I've never had an issue having other non-elevator systems in the disconnect room/closet, unless it is a manufacturer specific requirement. If you do not have an MRL elevator, you're correct and should not have any non-elevator related equipment in the same room. Typically, I do panel in a separate room, feeding fused disconnects in equipment room, with non-fused disconnects inside the elevator shaft. Link below has photos though of the last non-MRL machine room I was around if it's of any use to you.


    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/77brxkmn0...wi5WHO19a?dl=0

    Thanks but i am dealing with an Otis and Schindler elevator. Floors of travel are 4-5. But as per NEC 620.37(A)

    (A) Uses Permitted. Only such electrical wiring, raceways,and cables used directly in connection with the elevator
    or dumbwaiter, including wiring for signals, for
    communication with the car, for lighting, heating, air conditioning,
    and ventilating the elevator car, for fire detecting
    systems, for pit sump pumps, and for heating, lighting, and
    ventilating the hoistway, shall be permitted inside the hoistway,
    machine rooms, control rooms, machinery spaces, and
    control spaces.

    which implies that you cant put anything else in a room which house elevator disconnects or combine with other distribution equipment that doesnt belong to elevator.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    which implies that you cant put anything else in a room which house elevator disconnects or combine with other distribution equipment that doesnt belong to elevator.
    I may just be getting lucky with our elevator inspector, but I haven't had an issue, because we consider the pit of an MRL to be the "machine room". A disconnect for an elevator, IMO, is just a disconnecting means. Elevators have controllers in them, so the disconnect does not double as a controller in this scenario, which means that 620.37 doesn't apply if you ask me.

    Side note, I HAVE been nailed for not having machine room lighting levels in the pit of an MRL elevator hoistway.
    I'm offended.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •