User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Standard breaker size

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Standard breaker size

I installed 4.5kw, 277V, single phase water heater with branch circuit breaker size of 30A.

Inspector flagged it and says should be 25A.

I cannot find 25A circuit breakers. All sizes found are 20 or 30A. Does anyone know of any? Are they hard to find? Does nec 2014 article 240.6 standard overcurrent sizes apply to fuses and certain type of breakers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    25A breakers are a standard size, even if not nearly as common. A REAL electrical warehouse will have them, or even especially Amazon, like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/MP225-25-Am...ircuit+breaker

You are asking about how to find a circuit breaker, and don't even tell us what brand and type so we can help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    25A breakers are a standard size, even if not nearly as common. A REAL electrical warehouse will have them, or even especially Amazon, like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/MP225-25-Am...ircuit+breaker

You are asking about how to find a circuit breaker, and don't even tell us what brand and type so we can help.
    Breaker you posted is rated for 240V. I have 277V single phase.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hhsting View Post
    Breaker you posted is rated for 240V. I have 277V single phase.
    Was just a quick example to show 25 as a standard size.

https://smile.amazon.com/SCHNEIDER-E...ircuit+breaker

There's another one. Can't help further because we still don't know what brand you need. But the point is they are standard and available, even if not common.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed 4.5kw, 277V, single phase water heater with branch circuit breaker size of 30A.

Inspector flagged it and says should be 25A.

I cannot find 25A circuit breakers. All sizes found are 20 or 30A. Does anyone know of any? Are they hard to find? Does nec 2014 article 240.6 standard overcurrent sizes apply to fuses and certain type of breakers?
    Look at 420.11(E) for over current protection. If you have a over current protection marked on the water heater use that as your OCPD if not you have to multiply your amps x 1.5 if your amps are more than 13.3A and no over current marking on the device.If it doesnt correspond to standard OCPD you can select the next size up. In your case 4500/277=16.25x1.5=24.36 and next standard size is 25A.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    Look at 420.11(E) for over current protection. If you have a over current protection marked on the water heater use that as your OCPD if not you have to multiply your amps x 1.5 if your amps are more than 13.3A and no over current marking on the device.If it doesnt correspond to standard OCPD you can select the next size up. In your case 4500/277=16.25x1.5=24.36 and next standard size is 25A.
    420.11(E) applies to appliance like toaster etc not to water heater.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot find 25A circuit breakers. All sizes found are 20 or 30A. Does anyone know of any?
    What kind of panel, what style of breaker?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "listed" breaker is for specific panel. Just get a "classified" breaker if not sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
    My experience has been a water heater this size would meet the 422.13 requirement and only be permitted to be sized at 125%. Nonetheless, it still calculates to the 25A OCPD, but you can see how it might change depending on what number you plug in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fact: While 25 amps is a standard breaker size, it is not available in all breaker configurations, for example a Square D QOB 10KAIC is available, but a 22KAIC one is not. They are not available in an GFCI configuration in many panels. When you run in to that, it stinks. You basically have to install a fused disconnect in lieu of a breaker. I have usually had success in passing the cost for this on with the proper argument.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!