User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grounding practice for a chain of steel containers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "We are considering using 4 or 5 containers, with windows cut out, to span that trestle. "

is what made me think that
    Dave Ruth

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. Now you have me thinking too. Maybe the OP has some explaining to do. I just love it when someone asks a question, we get all kinds of ideas and the OP never bothers to come back with more information or clarification when we have questions.

Or even a thank you.

-Hal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was picturing large shipping containers from the get-go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I was picturing large shipping containers from the get-go.
    I have no idea what this is. Someone says "trestle" and I immediately think "railroad", but in this case I don't have a clue. And I really can't even begin to think what these "containers" are going to be used for. Shelter? Storage? Structural support?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't clear, to be sure. I was picturing a flat bridge being turned into a covered bridge with them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It wasn't clear, to be sure. I was picturing a flat bridge being turned into a covered bridge with them.
    OK, that's creative. Sort of rustic New England meets Steam Punk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was what I envisioned.

I am often amazed that people think they can get competent (and free) advice from more or less random and anonymous people on the Internet than by paying people who are actually competent to give such advice.

That the OP seems to think that "grounding" these structures will somehow provide some kind of protection from lightning suggests he badly needs competent advice on the subject.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine that perhaps most of the bridge is structurally unsound, or gone, but they want to span still-existing piers or abutments with shipping containers. OP did specify a 'train trestle'. Unless the original bridge is gone and the reason is that it got hit by lightning, this thread is much ado about nothing much, IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I imagine that perhaps most of the bridge is structurally unsound, or gone, but they want to span still-existing piers or abutments with shipping containers. OP did specify a 'train trestle'. Unless the original bridge is gone and the reason is that it got hit by lightning, this thread is much ado about nothing much, IMHO.
    a lot of old train right of ways that are no longer used by railroads are being turned into trails. maybe someone thinks this is a cheap way to make the trestle safe for bike and foot traffic.
    Bob