bathtub

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

So what's the boundary of the device? The edge of the face-plate? The edge of the molded receptacle? The first edge of the slot for the grounded/ungrounded contact opening?

It would be the edge of any component on the device itself. Not the faceplate nor the box the device is installed in.

406.9(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be
installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

mwm1752

It would be the edge of any component on the device itself. Not the faceplate nor the box the device is installed in.

406.9(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be
installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

I find this a toemato - tomaato statement that could be controversial -- he is stating if you have a 2 gang box and blank one side which is "above the tub" & install a receptacle edge.01" away from above the tub "no problem Joe" ---- IMO the receptacle installation is a finished product is which all parts count -- this keeps it simple & consistant -- bottom line neither Jumper or I (as far as I know) is the AHJ in your area so we cannot make the call for your inspection. Ask yo AHJ

jumper

I find this a toemato - tomaato statement that could be controversial -- he is stating if you have a 2 gang box and blank one side which is "above the tub" & install a receptacle edge.01" away from above the tub "no problem Joe" ---- IMO the receptacle installation is a finished product is which all parts count -- this keeps it simple & consistant -- bottom line neither Jumper or I (as far as I know) is the AHJ in your area so we cannot make the call for your inspection. Ask yo AHJ

How about a definition from the NEC?

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the
outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single
receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or
more contact devices on the same yoke.

Nothing about a plate, box, or anything else.:)

kwired

Electron manager
Being one that has to pass or fail something like this & take responsibility afterwards I tend to be a bit more cautious. YMMV?
As an inspector you also have to put on blinders and look only at code no matter how bad you think something may look, and if code doesn't define something then you have to look at a generally accepted dictionary for definitions.

That said "workmanlike manner" is difficult to enforce, at least at times, and better have some safety justification behind it when used and not just "I think it is ugly".

mwm1752

When I was contracting it was alot easier to tell someone no when I felt it was a wrong installation due to a safety factor -- It always surprises me that contractors will do anything asked just to see if it will pass inspection -- and now like I said before I must pick my battles when the interpretation is needed & someone wants me to take responsibility for an unorthdox installation.

JFletcher

The receptacle is the receptacle, but in your hypothetical 2 gang box, half blanked off over the tub, what would keep someone from installing a receptacle in that blank space? If I were inspecting that, I'd think "the minute I sign off on this, someone is going to add a receptacle in that space".

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The receptacle is the receptacle, but in your hypothetical 2 gang box, half blanked off over the tub, what would keep someone from installing a receptacle in that blank space? If I were inspecting that, I'd think "the minute I sign off on this, someone is going to add a receptacle in that space".

In thinking that way you'd also have to fail services that were utilizing the 6 movement rule if the service panel had 6 movements worth in it, but, had space for more breakers to be added.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.