Is it permissable to have two 30A outlets on one 30 amp circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mustwin351

I have an interesting setup for my laundry room and am in the process of running a 4 wire circuit to replace the old 3 wire as I have changed the location of the dryer. If if in the future I sell the house it may work out better for someone to have the dryer in the old location. It would be much better to have a 30 amp receptacle in two locations to have the option of having the dryer in either location. Only one of the outlets would ever be utilized but both 30 amp receptacles would share the same circuit. I currently cannot find anything in the code that has an issue with this. Would this setup be acceptable?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
acceptable.
not much different from 120v 15 and 20 amp convenience outlets.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with the others. The only problems I can foresee is a) landing two sets of # 10 wires on the breaker and b) if you had a situation where you were going from one receptacle to another, jamming the wires into the box, installing and landing those wires as well. But, if you're a macho-man you can handle it. :p

iwire

Staff member
The only problems I can foresee is a) landing two sets of # 10 wires on the breaker

b4f60902-b976-444e-94c6-23b579702168_400.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.