User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 5000A Switchboard in outdoor enclosure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shujinko View Post
    ... I'll need to provide a 5000A Switchboard with an weatherproof enclosure for all the modular chiller plants or (3) 1600A switchboards in weatherproof enclosures, one SB for each modular chiller plant. The system voltage would be 480Y/277V. ....
    Some random thoughts - I'd be looking at life cycle costs as opposed to just installed costs. But that means the management has to be on board with considering lifetime maintenance costs:

5000A and 8% IZ = 62.5KA SCC (yuck) Likely not possible to get the incident energy to below 40 cal/cm2
    How do you rack out a CB - outside and in the rain? Even with remote operators, one is still building tents.

Three separate units at 1600A each. xfm are 1500KVA at maybe 6%, 1800A (FLA) = 30KA SCC. With three units, maybe possible to take one off line. Still building tents, but it is de-energized.

5000A requires 10ea 1000kcmil, or 14 ea 500kcmil, fed from a 4MVA xfm
    1600A requires 5 ea 500kcmil, fed from a 1.5MVA xfm

You have a nice project. Good luck. Let us know how it comes out.
    Without data you’re just another person with an opinion – Edwards Deming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And, no, I don't think it makes any difference as to who owns the transformers.

Either way the customer is going to pay for the transformers, to heat the transformers, and for the maintenance on the system. The details are in a negotiated rate schedule.

One advantage for customer owned, is the 480 secondary can be specified to be HRG - which is my favorite for anything over 500KVA, and industrial.

For some inexplicable reason HRG 480V services cause utilities to go into convulsions.
    Without data you’re just another person with an opinion – Edwards Deming

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.atlaselectricinc.com/prod...iners-trailers

here are some interesting options.
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iceworm View Post
    And, no, I don't think it makes any difference as to who owns the transformers.
    From a design standpoint it makes a difference.

A utility transformer may have limitations on where they want to set it, or the maximum size (KVA).

If it's owner furnished then you could make it direct coupled to the switchboard; depending on location, it may be better to go with a dry type.

You can split them up using three padmounted and do loop feed.

I'm sure there are others.
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think of the source available and what is the short circuit rating of the chillers.

You may need smaller services to know down fault current or you may need a larger service to take advantage of that last MV feeder left in the vault for the equipment.

It is multi-factorial.....
    Ron

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpb View Post
    Does that mean he doesn't want a building at all, or he just doesn't want to build a separate structure?

Who is going to own the transformer; i.e. is it utility provided or owner furnished?

How critical are the chillers to operation?

What is the location being installed; i.e. environment considerations?

Are the chillers installed next to each other, or are they spread out?

How far away will the transformer (if utility owned) or the utility power be from where the chillers are?

As you can see there are a lot questions needing answers that would make it more practical in helping with suggestions.

1. XFMR owned by the utility.
    2. No stand-by power. Chillers are mostly for retail and commercial type spaces (non-critical functions).
    3. Switchboard to be located in a Chiller Yard.
    4. Chillers are within 10' of each other in the chiller yard.
    5. Utility XFMR is roughly 100' away from the switchboard location.

PS: We are breaking this into 2 separate switchboards (services) because the maximum XFMR size for the local utility is 2500KVA.