User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Truck inventory best practices?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lakecitieselectric View Post
    I would like to see a list of what you guys keep on your trucks that do light commercial and residential.
    As part of the discussion of this thread both here and on another site I posted it on, I have discovered there is a lot of debate about how much to carry on a service truck. Some people have said they carry basically nothing and load just what they need for the day's jobs on the truck. Other's like me carry every conceivable part that might be needed for standard jobs. And there are a bunch of people mid-range. So your question is hard to answer.

    Normally I do Romex (#14, #12, #10), MC (#12, #10), EMT, and PVC jobs in 1/2" and 3/4" and carry all the pipe, wire and fittings for that. I also do rigid in 1/2" and 3/4" but load those when needed since I use those for underground work and always have advance notice on those. I carry lots of boxes in metal, plastic and Bell varieties. I carry loads of devices like receps, switches, dimmers, GFCI's in white, almond, ivory, and a few odd colors. I carry circuit breakers for every major brand in every size from 15 to 60 amps plus a few GFCI and AFCI breakers. There's a lot more. If I weighed the cargo it's probably 1000 lbs.

    Don't forget all the tools. Basic hand tools, occasionally used hand tools, battery tools of every type, a plug in bandsaw, hand benders, wire dispensers, scrap lumber.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 02-13-19 at 04:35 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    As part of the discussion of this thread both here and on another site I posted it on, I have discovered there is a lot of debate about how much to carry on a service truck. Some people have said they carry basically nothing and load just what they need for the day's jobs on the truck. Other's like me carry every conceivable part that might be needed for standard jobs. And there are a bunch of people mid-range. So your question is hard to answer.

    Normally I do Romex (#14, #12, #10), MC (#12, #10), EMT, and PVC jobs in 1/2" and 3/4" and carry all the pipe, wire and fittings for that. I also do rigid in 1/2" and 3/4" but load those when needed since I use those for underground work and always have advance notice on those. I carry lots of boxes in metal, plastic and Bell varieties. I carry loads of devices like receps, switches, dimmers, GFCI's in white, almond, ivory, and a few odd colors. I carry circuit breakers for every major brand in every size from 15 to 60 amps plus a few GFCI and AFCI breakers. There's a lot more. If I weighed the cargo it's probably 1000 lbs.

    Don't forget all the tools. Basic hand tools, occasionally used hand tools, battery tools of every type, a plug in bandsaw, hand benders, wire dispensers, scrap lumber.
    The only downfall to a fully loaded truck, and I've heard of this happening more than once, if you're truck ever get's stolen, you are out a whole bunch.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Clark County, NV
    Posts
    1,932
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a big toolbox stolen out of the back of my pickup a couple months ago. They probably thought they were getting tools. It was filled with capacitors for replacement parts in air conditioning equipment, something you know they had no use for. They could have kept the box, but I'd sure have liked to have them drop the capacitors back off instead of whatever dumpster they wound up in.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa, FL, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    The only downfall to a fully loaded truck, and I've heard of this happening more than once, if you're truck ever get's stolen, you are out a whole bunch.
    I wish that was the only downfall. A daily problem I deal with is that the trucks are operating at or above their maximum load limits. I learned that by replacing two transmissions and a trip to the scales. Now I have to remember (and remind others) to take the overdrive off when the truck is started. I heard once there was a way to keep it off, but I'm too busy (lazy) to find out what it is. Tires also wear faster, gas mileage sucks, and handling is marginal. The next scheduled truck purchase is much more heavy duty.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    As part of the discussion of this thread both here and on another site I posted it on, I have discovered there is a lot of debate about how much to carry on a service truck. Some people have said they carry basically nothing and load just what they need for the day's jobs on the truck. Other's like me carry every conceivable part that might be needed for standard jobs. And there are a bunch of people mid-range. So your question is hard to answer.

    Normally I do Romex (#14, #12, #10), MC (#12, #10), EMT, and PVC jobs in 1/2" and 3/4" and carry all the pipe, wire and fittings for that. I also do rigid in 1/2" and 3/4" but load those when needed since I use those for underground work and always have advance notice on those. I carry lots of boxes in metal, plastic and Bell varieties. I carry loads of devices like receps, switches, dimmers, GFCI's in white, almond, ivory, and a few odd colors. I carry circuit breakers for every major brand in every size from 15 to 60 amps plus a few GFCI and AFCI breakers. There's a lot more. If I weighed the cargo it's probably 1000 lbs.

    Don't forget all the tools. Basic hand tools, occasionally used hand tools, battery tools of every type, a plug in bandsaw, hand benders, wire dispensers, scrap lumber.
    The big boys around here have a scanning device and every time they pull something off the truck they scan the bar code on the bin. Then you would have the data to do with whatever you want. They use it to create a po to the supply house as the supply house stocks their vans and trucks for them. They also use it to track inventory as a whole, and track inventory per job. Of course a lot work goes into this by narrowing down from past history of jobs as what to carry on the vehicle. This is why I ask to see a list of what people carry if they are willing to share.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    8,496
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I wish that was the only downfall. A daily problem I deal with is that the trucks are operating at or above their maximum load limits. I learned that by replacing two transmissions and a trip to the scales. Now I have to remember (and remind others) to take the overdrive off when the truck is started. I heard once there was a way to keep it off, but I'm too busy (lazy) to find out what it is. Tires also wear faster, gas mileage sucks, and handling is marginal. The next scheduled truck purchase is much more heavy duty.
    True
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

    There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

    John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •