2 ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

I did a service change yesterday, I will not be there for the inspection on Monday, I wanted to get some feed back of how I connected the two grond rods, first ground rod connects directly to main panel number #6. There is a solar sub panel about 10' away from main. Conductors and #6 ground feed the subpanel, 2nd ground rod I drove is directly below subpanel, connected 2nd rod to subpanel, Then jumped off 2nd rod and bonded the water. Thanx

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What size service, service entrance conductors?

If 200A service (3/0 Cu minimum), your GEC to the water pipe electrode (WPE) is too small.

Some AHJ's would question if not flag the method of GEC to the second rod and WPE... GEC not being irreversibly spliced.

SAP

Its ,100 amp service,Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that a ground bar in a panel was considered continues, Maybe you a talking about my water bond needs to be continues from my ground rod,

SAP

My first GEC would be my first ground rod, After my first GEC it does not have to be continuous, does it say in the code that the water has to be my first GEC, for some reason I feel like I read that somewhere,thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Its ,100 amp service,Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought that a ground bar in a panel was considered continues, Maybe you a talking about my water bond needs to be continues from my ground rod,

My first GEC would be my first ground rod, After my first GEC it does not have to be continuous, does it say in the code that the water has to be my first GEC, for some reason I feel like I read that somewhere,thanks
See 250.66(C).

It's all a matter of interpretation and the technicalities that ensue. In reality, a solid connection works fine... some are just leery they may not remain that way.

kwired

Electron manager
I did a service change yesterday, I will not be there for the inspection on Monday, I wanted to get some feed back of how I connected the two grond rods, first ground rod connects directly to main panel number #6. There is a solar sub panel about 10' away from main. Conductors and #6 ground feed the subpanel, 2nd ground rod I drove is directly below subpanel, connected 2nd rod to subpanel, Then jumped off 2nd rod and bonded the water. Thanx
I question connection of the second rod to the sub panel. The grounding electrode system is required to connect to the service or main disconnect in the case of a non service supplied building.

You could run a bonding jumper from a ground rod to a water pipe electrode, but as mentioned if the water pipe requires larger then 6 AWG you have a problem there as well.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I question connection of the second rod to the sub panel. The grounding electrode system is required to connect to the service or main disconnect in the case of a non service supplied building.
See 250.121 Exception [2014].

kwired

Electron manager
See 250.121 Exception [2014].
There is that.

Now say this application calls for 4 AWG GEC would 6 AWG still be acceptable if the only electrode were a rod? Remember the purpose of the conductor is more then just connection to a single rod.

SAP

I could have a 600 amp panel,if my only GEC were ground rods, then # 6 is all that is required, if it were a uffer then #4 is all that is required, correct me if I'm wrong

SAP

Out here we are on the 2011 code, My install is a code violation, It's micro inverters so the #6 running to subpanel is only a EGC, I could tell the inspector that the EMT is my EGC,the number 6 is my GEC, Other option is to run another # 6 green with my feeders,2 #6 greens in same conduit (they are all gonna laugh at me) lol ?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Out here we are on the 2011 code, My install is a code violation,
That would be correct. It is not in '14. Some AHJ departments will allow a current, unadopted code in cases like these.
It's micro inverters so the #6 running to subpanel is only a EGC, I could tell the inspector that the EMT is my EGC,the number 6 is my GEC,
You could try that, but once you pull a green in EMT it becomes an egc even though it is supplementary. That is why when you pull a wire egc in emt or rmc it has to be full sized according to 250.122.
Other option is to run another # 6 green with my feeders,2 #6 greens in same conduit (they are all gonna laugh at me) lol ?
I don't know what to think about this given what I said above.

SAP

Section 250 is really confusing, It prohibits a EGC for duel use has a GEC, but there is no problem using a GEC has a EGC, Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.