Hardwired Flexible Cord

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD84

It is fairly common for me to see SO cord wired directly from the utilization equipment to a junction box or panel.

It is my understanding that if it is acceptable to use flexible cord then a receptacle and cord plug is required. Am I missing something here? Is there an exception I have missed?

An example being a customer has requested a new battery charger be installed. The new charger is three phase 23.5A on 240 Delta (ungrounded). The old one was wired with SO cord using cable gland bushings directly to a disconnect. The customer would like to reuse the SO cord. I am advising a cord and plug with a receptacle. They do not understand why a receptacle is necessary if there was not one there. I am referring to 400.7.

iwire

Staff member
It is fairly common for me to see SO cord wired directly from the utilization equipment to a junction box or panel.

It is my understanding that if it is acceptable to use flexible cord then a receptacle and cord plug is required. Am I missing something here? Is there an exception I have missed?

An example being a customer has requested a new battery charger be installed. The new charger is three phase 23.5A on 240 Delta (ungrounded). The old one was wired with SO cord using cable gland bushings directly to a disconnect. The customer would like to reuse the SO cord. I am advising a cord and plug with a receptacle. They do not understand why a receptacle is necessary if there was not one there. I am referring to 400.7.

The charger is going to require a disconnecting means within sight anyway so the cord and plug fills that need.

There is also 400.7(B) which requires a receptacle in many cases.

MD84

Thanks. It is located about 30" from the panel so it has a disconnecting means at the breaker. Is there any exception that would allow hardwiring the SO? I would prefer saving the customer the cost of the receptacle and plug. I do not like the idea of hardwiring flexible cord into a panel.

iwire

Staff member
Thanks. It is located about 30" from the panel so it has a disconnecting means at the breaker. Is there any exception that would allow hardwiring the SO? I would prefer saving the customer the cost of the receptacle and plug. I do not like the idea of hardwiring flexible cord into a panel.

First you have to determine why you are running cord in place of a chapter 3 method.

Then find out which section of 400.7(A) allows you to use cord for that application and once you do that you look to see if 400.7(B) requires the plug.

At 30" away I wonder why you don't use FMC or LFMC instead of cord?

iwire

Staff member
The customer wishes to be able to move the charger to other areas within the premises.

Then 400.7(B) requires a cord and plug period.

The charger will not be fastened in place.

It can still be wired with a chapter 3 method if you wanted to, but the fact they want to relocate it pretty much means cord, plug and receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.