clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Evening, and thank you in advance for your help. Today it was pointed out to me that a clamp was not permitted to be used on a water copper pipe. It was stated that the pipe would be crushed and it can only be done if it was clamped on the seal cap or a pipe coupling, thus creating a double wall. Does this apply to both hard and soft copper pipes?, the electrical rooms have hard copper water stubs where clamps are being used The building is from the 80's. :dunce:...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Good Evening, and thank you in advance for your help. Today it was pointed out to me that a clamp was not permitted to be used on a water copper pipe. It was stated that the pipe would be crushed and it can only be done if it was clamped on the seal cap or a pipe coupling, thus creating a double wall. Does this apply to both hard and soft copper pipes?, the electrical rooms have hard copper water stubs where clamps are being used The building is from the 80's. :dunce:...

The final answer rests with the instructions from the clamp manufacturer, based on the way that the clamp fits around the pipe and applied pressure. (
A hose type clamp, if they made one, would not tend to crush the pipe. A two part clamp that also has a pointed screw to make the best possible connection and penetrate paint or oxide will instead go through the copper pipe.)

Be sure to distinguish between copper pipe and copper tubing too. That may be what you are calling hard and soft copper pipe.

clamp

Thank You sir! The clarification on the correct name is very welcomed. The clamp used was a two part with screws for tightening on both sides, and a set screw for the conductor and does not protrude past the clamp. They are commonly used on ground rods..

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just purchase the proper clamp for the copper pipe. Hand tighten with a screwdriver and don't worry you won't crush the pipe, I know I've tried. :roll:

clamp.

clamp.

Thank you all for your help, I have read Article 250 trying to find where the master Elect. got his information to no avail, It is so hard being a helper. Everyone here knows more then me, but no one has the right answer or where to find it, Praise my LORD for Mr. Holt and everyone in the Forum. Have a Blessed Life.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Good Evening, and thank you in advance for your help. Today it was pointed out to me that a clamp was not permitted to be used on a water copper pipe. It was stated that the pipe would be crushed and it can only be done if it was clamped on the seal cap or a pipe coupling, thus creating a double wall....
I've never heard such a thing. I hope this wasn't your boss telling you this.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
your answer is 110.3B. the master is probably right as he may of seen some crushed copper lines. Keep in mind there is a difference between copper pipe and tube. Pipe is rigid hard wall, and tube is designed to be bent. Most plumbing supply is pipe.

I have some copper clamps by T&B intended for copper pipes

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
your answer is 110.3B. the master is probably right as he may of seen some crushed copper lines. Keep in mind there is a difference between copper pipe and tube. Pipe is rigid hard wall, and tube is designed to be bent. Most plumbing supply is pipe.

I have some copper clamps by T&B intended for copper pipes
I am curious about this. The only difference I'm aware of is hard drawn copper and soft, both are tubing as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.