duplex with 2 services

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was out at a new client to install some new lighting and it was a duplex dwelling built less than a year ago. It is in southern California in Edison territory. I found that there a 2 services 1 meter at opposite sides of the building. I thought a residential building with 2 units could only be fed by one service and the must be grouped.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Barring an exception, 230.2 requires one building = one service

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Little too extensive to post.. take a look at 230.2,,, there are no exceptions that I can think of that would fit your situation.

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks.
What exception do you speak of?

Not exactly an exception but 230.2(B)(1) can allow it. Note that it starts off with "by special permission"

If there is two hour rated wall between different sections of a building some places let you call them separate buildings for this purpose also.

Thanks,
I would have never looked at 230.2B applicable to a duplex.
Both the services are surface mounted on the exterior and in front of any gate or fence. So they would have been accessible to either tennant on either side of the dwelling. Strange how some do things.

Maybe one service was disconnected and abandoned?
Nope. What I thought when I drove up is I only saw 1 meter. I thought both units were under 1 meter. My customers meter was on the other side out of plain sight.
one service meter/main combo on each side of the duplex.
Meaning separate service for each of the two units.
The place built in 2015 under the 2013 CEC based on the 2011 nec

Status
Not open for further replies.