djd

Status
Not open for further replies.

djd

My question is not whether this is right or wrong , I may be! This has to do with putting two circuits on a 120 volt 20 amp duplex receptacle.The person would of course break the tab on at least the hot side if not the neutral also. I feel this is a nec violation but I cant seem to find it in the book.

iwire

Staff member
My question is not whether this is right or wrong , I may be! This has to do with putting two circuits on a 120 volt 20 amp duplex receptacle.The person would of course break the tab on at least the hot side if not the neutral also. I feel this is a nec violation but I cant seem to find it in the book.

It depends, is it supplied by two 2-wire circuits or one 3-wire circuit?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer

You cannot find it in the NEC because it is not a violation, but rather a relatively common practice.

The NEC will discourage you from trying to use circuits at two different voltages on a single yoke, but the duplex receptacles you see will either be both 120V or both 240V.
If the branch circuit is an MWBC the neutral tab should not be broken. If each circuit has its own neutral from the panel you MUST break the neutral tab too.

iwire

Staff member
If the branch circuit is an MWBC the neutral tab should not be broken. If each circuit has its own neutral from the panel you MUST break the neutral tab too.

I think that is the OPs question and I agree your answer the hard part will be citing a code section.:)

Pretty much stuck with either calling it a parallel conductor issue or a 're-bonding' of a neutral.

djd

djd

I think that is the OPs question and I agree your answer the hard part will be citing a code section.:)

Pretty much stuck with either calling it a parallel conductor issue or a 're-bonding' of a neutral.

i feel good that its not in the code but hell I got schooled by a millennial , I just even with two two wire circuits you have 208v on a 120 recep., and your this is common it has come up twice in the recent past. Thanks for the insight.

iwire

Staff member
i feel good that its not in the code but hell I got schooled by a millennial , I just even with two two wire circuits you have 208v on a 120 recep., and your this is common it has come up twice in the recent past. Thanks for the insight.

No, you will have 120 volts on each of the two receptacles contained in a duplex. Have no worry, they are rated for this use.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

A duplex is two receptacles you can wire them independently with a MWBC or two 2-wire circuits, breaking the tabs accordingly.

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
And then there's the Leviton 5842. 120V and 240V on the same yoke.

ibcGetAttachment.jsp

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Is it just me or does there appear to be a bridge tab on the left side of that receptacle?

Yup, and if the 240 L side is fed from the same 120/240 line as the 120 hot and fed from the same MWBC, the bridge tab would be functional and not need removal. Otherwise it could be illegal paralleling, but not necessary a short if left in place.
There better not be a bridge on the neutral side though. :happysad:

JFletcher

Yup, and if the 240 L side is fed from the same 120/240 line as the 120 hot and fed from the same MWBC, the bridge tab would be functional and not need removal. Otherwise it could be illegal paralleling, but not necessary a short if left in place.

Yeah I brainfarted and was thinking the left side was neutral and hot, not hot/hot.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You got your reply in before I did. Do you have one of those super fast stock trading computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.