User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Light Duty Disconnect Failure

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The same person made the connections at the factory. At least they were consistently done.
    Tom
    TBLO

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The disconnect plug-in is a fair connection at best. The 60a version is okay on a 30a circuit, but rather poor approaching its 60a rating. A different style is highly recommended (at least by me.)

Your only real recourse is with the manufacturer, claiming that the 60a disconnect is not 60a capable. They're cheap (well under $10 at H.D.) for a reason.
    Code references based on 2005 NEC
    Larry B. Fine
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStillman View Post
    These are disconnects external to the heat pump. All are 60A and fed with #6's. There is no breaker on the unit. No upstream breakers have tripped.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStillman View Post
    60A switches, biggest unit is 46 total unit amps. (Heat pumps with electric backup.)
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFine View Post
    The disconnect plug-in is a fair connection at best. The 60a version is okay on a 30a circuit, but rather poor approaching its 60a rating. A different style is highly recommended (at least by me.)

Your only real recourse is with the manufacturer, claiming that the 60a disconnect is not 60a capable. They're cheap (well under $10 at H.D.) for a reason.
    I have to agree with Larry, majority of those I use seldom get loaded to more than 35-40 amps and I have little issues with them, that is about all a 5 ton compressor unit will draw maxed out, most don't run maxed out though. You apparently also have resistance heat - probably somewhere near 10 kw, that is likely what is pushing them to their cheap design limit.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.