remote start for generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymari

Got a call from a hotel customer asking about remote start possibilities for stand by generator.
Weve done plenty of ats setups but ive never dealt with remote start capabilities.
Anyone familiar with this.
Haven't seen the generator yet just checking the forum before hand

bobbymari

...how would that be any different then auto-start?

Thats my question also.
Thats what I was getting at.
Customer may be confusing remote start with ats.
Not sure yet haven't seen their setup. Was just wondering if anyone has heard of remote generator start. Ive only seen it for the small gasoline generators.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Thats my question also.
Thats what I was getting at.
Customer may be confusing remote start with ats.
Not sure yet haven't seen their setup. Was just wondering if anyone has heard of remote generator start. Ive only seen it for the small gasoline generators.

Lots of communication and emergency buildings with generators have remote start capabilities.
But they are also autostart on power failure too.

bobbymari

BobbieM, Et AL:

Obviously none of you have been been thru a lawsuit! There is no such thing as a Logical defense!

Phil Corso
I get your point bud, I haven't even looked at it yet. The question was if anyone was familiar with remote starting nothing to do with legal advice.
If I look at the setup , speak with manufacturer and feel it is beyond me, I dont do it plain and simple. Lawsuit avoided but thanks again, have a good one.
Not asking diy tips, been doing this for quite a while and knock on wood no I haven't been through a lawsuit.

Last edited:

bobbymari

Lots of communication and emergency buildings with generators have remote start capabilities.
But they are also autostart on power failure too.

So would the remote start override the auto start , just seems odd to me to have both. Is this in case ats fails, you have another starting means other than manual start..

BobbieM, Et AL:

Obviously none of you have been been thru a lawsuit! There is no such thing as a Logical defense!

Phil Corso

I dont understand what the big concern is with liability/lawsuits from a remote start... :? Are you just concerned that a remote starts gets installed when the client wanted/meant automatic start?

Got a call from a hotel customer asking about remote start possibilities for stand by generator.

I doubt that would be any big deal to install. Practically all generators that can function with an ATS can be set up with a remote start - I mean the ATS IS a remote start, just automatic. There are a few different start schemes: 2 wire, 3 wire, momentary, maintain, etc. I am most familiar with remote start for off grid applications where one wants the gen to start from certain parameters such as battery voltage, or so that it can be manually started for operation of large load that exceeds the inverter or battery bank capability.

bobbymari

I dont understand what the big concern is with liability/lawsuits from a remote start... :? Are you just concerned that a remote starts gets installed when the client wanted/meant automatic start?

I doubt that would be any big deal to install. Practically all generators that can function with an ATS can be set up with a remote start - I mean the ATS IS a remote start, just automatic. There are a few different start schemes: 2 wire, 3 wire, momentary, maintain, etc. I am most familiar with remote start for off grid applications where one wants the gen to start from certain parameters such as battery voltage, or so that it can be manually started for operation of large load that exceeds the inverter or battery bank capability.

Cool deal, thank you. Ill get a better idea of what they want on monday. Yea just wanted feed back on the reasoning of a remote start versus ats or if they are sometimes implemented together other than the obvious starting from a remote location haha.

mgookin

Broadcasters around here will operate off generator power when there's bad weather, which is pretty much every afternoon in the summer. Somebody inside has to be doing something to crank that thing up.

Their neighbors hate them.

kwired

Electron manager
Seems it would be simple to just interrupt the voltage to the monitoring circuit by remote means and that would force an ATS to start the generator and transfer thinking normal power was lost.

Might even be exactly what is done during a test mode with load transfer in many cases. Some exercise operations start the generator but don't always transfer load.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Seems it would be simple to just interrupt the voltage to the monitoring circuit by remote means and that would force an ATS to start the generator and transfer thinking normal power was lost.

Might even be exactly what is done during a test mode with load transfer in many cases. Some exercise operations start the generator but don't always transfer load.

Motorola does it through their Moscads or Scada. Send a signal Make the switch think power has failed, start, transfer, send a signal power is back re-transfer, stop.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
So would the remote start override the auto start , just seems odd to me to have both. Is this in case ats fails, you have another starting means other than manual start..

If it wont start on power loss a remote start capability is probably not going to help. Most gensets will lock out on overcrank after so many crank cycles.

bobbymari

:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.