Tamper Resisitant

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

2008 NEC with the exception of hall ways requires Tamper Resistant Receptacles in areas that GCI protection was not a requirement.
A co-worker who is a master code official also involved with PA states code adoption process. Has asked me to obtain your opinions.

Would there be any draw backs in giving PA. an option of class A ground fault protection for receptacles in dwelling in lue of the required tamper resistant receptacles.

In discussion we feel that GCI protection would address the safety concern tamper resistant receptacles where intending to target.

He is thinking of pushing strongly for this option but would first like to obtain outside opinions on this matter.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Gfci will not prevent shock or burn. Yes it will trip but the damage would be done. TR receptacles addresses the issue before the shock occurs where gfci address it after the fact

david

Gfci will not prevent shock or burn. Yes it will trip but the damage would be done. TR receptacles addresses the issue before the shock occurs where gfci address it after the fact

Dennis thank you,

We have been under the 2008 NEC since 2009 codes were adopted , we are unaware of any reported incidents , of individuals being burnt or shocked in basements, bathrooms, outside, kitchen counters , where Tamper resistant is not presently a requirement in the State of PA.

Are you aware of reports of burn or shock incidents involving Class A. GFCI protection

mgookin

2008 NEC with the exception of hall ways requires Tamper Resistant Receptacles in areas that GCI protection was not a requirement.
A co-worker who is a master code official also involved with PA states code adoption process. Has asked me to obtain your opinions.

Would there be any draw backs in giving PA. an option of class A ground fault protection for receptacles in dwelling in lue of the required tamper resistant receptacles.

In discussion we feel that GCI protection would address the safety concern tamper resistant receptacles where intending to target.

He is thinking of pushing strongly for this option but would first like to obtain outside opinions on this matter.

It's my understanding that GFCI will protect an adult but not an infant or toddler due to resistance in the human body at those ages.
The trip curve in the GFCI just won't go that low.
I believe it's the infants and toddlers that TR is intended to protect.
So my opinion is No, do not change your code to remove TR requirements in lieu of GFCI installation.

construct

Rare as that may be certainly worth considering.
Thank You.

I must have been exposed to rare. My brother, at age 4 spread a "bobby pin" and jumpered across line and neutral in a receptacle. To this day, he still has a 'V' shaped scar on his right index finger where it branded him. :slaphead:

david

I must have been exposed to rare. My brother, at age 4 spread a "bobby pin" and jumpered across line and neutral in a receptacle. To this day, he still has a 'V' shaped scar on his right index finger where it branded him. :slaphead:

Would tamper resistant prevented that?

dkidd

Occupation
PE

I know an electrician that wanted to demonstrate that a GFCI receptacle would trip if a paper clip was inserted between line and neutral. It didn't. He was cautious enough to use pliers to hold the paper clip.

Hendrix

I know an electrician that wanted to demonstrate that a GFCI receptacle would trip if a paper clip was inserted between line and neutral. It didn't. He was cautious enough to use pliers to hold the paper clip.
In high school we used to take a paper clip, straiten it out, insert it through an eraser and trip out the clock circuit so the bells wouldn't ring :slaphead:

JFletcher

Probably not. It's my understanding that the shutter device covering the slots will function to open when simultaneous pressure is applied to both sides, regardless of the shape of the object (as long as it will fit into the slot).

That's exactly how they work. My G-B voltage/continuity/NC tester leads will open the shutters if both are pushed at the same time.

If a customer wanted safer than that, then GFCI the TR receptacles and use those little plastic outlet safety covers. Maybe even offer a short children-oriented safety class on the hazards of electricity.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
A couple of power strips I bought a while back had little plastic sliding blockers on every outlet. I hated them. I took a screwdriver to them (the strip was unplugged at the time, of course) and broke them all out.

Status
Not open for further replies.