40 amp for any range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the nameplate states 50 amp is one thing but if it specs 14 kw that is another
If you ask me (and I know you are not :lol:) 50A on the nameplate is equivalent to 12kW...

...unless the nameplate or instructions indicate a circuit or circuit breaker rating.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
the PDF manual says "50A min".
my Q is, if the sum of elements (watts) = limited to 12kW on 240v, is a 50A OCD the correct OCD given the item can be at 50A for hours at a time?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
the PDF manual says "50A min".
my Q is, if the sum of elements (watts) = limited to 12kW on 240v, is a 50A OCD the correct OCD given the item can be at 50A for hours at a time?
It can only be at full power for hours at a time if you keep replacing food every few minutes or boil enormous quantities of water. If there is no pot it does not turn on. If the pot boils dry it overheats and turns off the burner.
Otherwise it will cycle under thermostatic control at reduced power very soon.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
IMO, the manufacturer who put an amp rating on the unit are just making T250.55 worthless. How many ranges would ever see 50 amp with the cycling on and off especially since one would rarely, if ever, have all burners on high

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Back when electrons were new, I never saw the range, and was never told the KW. #8 with 40 amp is what they got. A 200 amp service was also overkill.

and the Code book was 50 pages :D

somehow the world did not end.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
IMO, the manufacturer who put an amp rating on the unit are just making T250.55 worthless. How many ranges would ever see 50 amp with the cycling on and off especially since one would rarely, if ever, have all burners on high
article 250 ??? do we mean 220 ???

so if the nameplate says "50A" is a 50A OCD correct?

kwired

Electron manager
It can only be at full power for hours at a time if you keep replacing food every few minutes or boil enormous quantities of water. If there is no pot it does not turn on. If the pot boils dry it overheats and turns off the burner.
Otherwise it will cycle under thermostatic control at reduced power very soon.

I am not familiar with induction ranges, but like any other cooking appliance it would have to cycle the heat on/off as needed to maintain temp or you will be eating ashes of the food you thought you were going to cook. This is why the rating total rating of the appliance can be more then 40 amps - it won't draw more then 40 for long enough time to be a problem in nearly all cases. Now get into a 16 kW or larger and maybe that chance of trip goes up - still depends on usage habits. If you only use one or two surface elements most of the time then you have no problem most of the time. It is that one or two times a year when you are doing a lot of cooking that it can be a problem, or if said range is used for commercial purposes maybe you do have trouble frequently.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What!!! Read instructions!!!

Egads fellow, that is a direct violation of the he-man women haters club roles of conduct.

I am telling Spanky and Alfalfa on you.:D
An interview on NPR with a worm researcher reached a point where the interviewee mentioned that earthworms were hermaphroditic, and asked if the interviewer knew what that meant.
Interviewer replied that half the worm would stop and ask for directions and the other half wouldn't.

jumper

An interview on NPR with a worm researcher reached a point where the interviewee mentioned that earthworms were hermaphroditic, and asked if the interviewer knew what that meant.
Interviewer replied that half the worm would stop and ask for directions and the other half wouldn't.

My guess is that the interviewer was married to Darla.

gndrod

Big Orange myth

Big Orange myth

We always run a 50 amp circuit for ranges. But Home Depot is telling a homeowner told that 40 amp cb with a #8 Cu cable will cover any range.

Depends...AHJ can enforce conductor ampacity and disconnect size from manufacturers specs [110.3] and optional factors [220.84(C)(3)(b) in multi-family. Is a commercial AEK range specified?

Status
Not open for further replies.